Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Calirifier Repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Docara

Helo All,

Hope someone can help.

First off I'm a spark not a punter!! (so play nice ha ha) :smilewinkgrin:

I'm just staying on a friends narrow boat sorting out some issues before it goes on the market, and his unvented ho****er tank his just split.

The system has no expansion vessel and the split is just above the shoulder of the dome part of the tank and is about 2" long. The tank holds direct pressure from the pump which gets activated when a tap opens and the cut off pressure of the pump cuts off at 2.8b. There is a 4bar pressure relief valve installed in the system

I've been advised that the tank is probably a "Type 1" and that 5% Silver braze rod with a normal MAPP gas gun would make an acceptable repair. (fill)

Now I'm slightly concerned about annealing the copper due to the higher temps involved over soldering but could I have your opinions over a suitable repair method - if any!! (even though we all know replacement would be better).

Alternatively, is ther a repair service near the Brentford area of London)

Thanks in advance
Matt

Walk away from it.

Whether or not it comes under G3 it's still unvented and I would strongly recommend your friend gets a qualified guy in before you torpedo his boat.

A thousand percent what the big guy above has said. Get someone properly qualified in who will more than likely say " that tanks goosed and theirs no point in attempting a botched repair so it can be sold on to the next poor sucker to have a potential leaky timebomb on thier hands"... or words to that affect ;)

This is a sparky wind-up isn't it ??? Otherwise lets remove more stupid genes, (even if it is the boat buyer).

Last edited:
Matt, if you repair it, it goes bang on the next person and scoulds them it'l be on you.

worse still if fails completely, splits and flashes to steam, likely killing any nearby occupants via serious burns.

you will be the one up in front of a judge, not your friend.

tell him it needs to be replaced!!

It needs replacing id say, How did it get a 2" split anyway?.... if its through corrosion it will most likely go again somewhere else as soon as you recomission it probably, and if not pretty soon after. Whoever told you told to fix it up is very irresponsible. Plus all the silver soldering ive ever done on big water mains etc has been with oxy/acetylene not mapp gas didnt think it was hot enough, and if you havnt done it before anyway you will most likely go staright through before you seal up any holes. You need a new cylinder in there and whoever does it will need a g3 unvented ticket. As these other guys have said unvented cylinders are literally bombs. Seriously leave it to someone who knows what there doing mate.

officially i will be shooting all sparkys dead on site ,for some reason i dont like them

as others have said they can be very dangerous when they go wrong, domestic ones have been know to take out sections of buildings when they fail. Its not a good idea to patch repair them, either get the manufacturer in or replace the item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented Calirifier Repair in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock