Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual large water tank, considerations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Jones82

Gas Engineer
Hi Guys

I'd like your thoughts on this.

Customer has a 3 bar whole house shower pump and also an aqua lisa digital shower. Upon replacing the pump I noticed the water tank is only 50 gallons. It really should be 80-100 gallons? Its a 3 story town house with basement and two bathrooms.

However the space the tank resides in, a loft bedroom only has a small cupboard measuring 1200x850x1100. (LxWxH)

I've found these tanks 500l and 400l, yes they are a little pricey compared to standard tanks but will fit and look sound.

My two concerns are;

Are these tanks suitable for cold water storage cisterns... I can't think of a reason why not

The potential weight, structural considerations of a 500 litre tank. I would build a low level sturdy stand from moisture resistant flooring but the stand would essentially be sitting on the bedroom (loft) floor.

The tank would be located against what is essentially the gable end, so on the end of the joists. Its also a party wall as mid terraced.

But thats alot of weight in a house over 100 years old

Thanks as always

Asking the manufacturer now, thinking about it a little more and the next concern would be insulating the tank.

I could easily fit a ball valve, overflow and screened vent to comply with the regs

The suitability of the tank seems to be down to its composition?

Like I said this all came about from a replacement pump job. I suspect the pump failed or certainly shortened its life span by running dry.

Even if they say it is suitable I'm not sure about the 4-500 kg weight at the top of the house....

You would need a structural engineer. Would be good to get it over a load bearing wall.
[automerge]1589808925[/automerge]
Luckily this one went on a concrete pad outside 😀

Attachments

• 20190807_161418.jpg
    20190807_161418.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20190807_161341.jpg
    20190807_161341.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Reply to Unusual large water tank, considerations in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock