Search the forum,

Discuss Underfloor Heating broken in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello

Underfloor heating installed in 2019 - no probs at all. Suddenly stopped working yesterday.

Thermostat is starting the pump, and lights come on. Pipe is very hot at point 1 - and cold at point 2

I have also noticed a leak at point 3

My theory is the motorised valve has broken - and the pump may have caused too much pressure at point 3 - causing a drip. It is leaking onto a chipboard wood board - this is damp but not soaked - suggesting it's all a bit recent.

I have turned off the UFH at the stat - but i can see the red butterly tap (3) still weeping - seemingly from the spindle itself

GCH and Hot water work fine. I can see motorised valved for GCH move slightly when activated - so i was expecting to see same for UFH valve - which leads me to suspect the valve for the floor.

I can manually open the "underfloor" motorised valve, and everything gets hot again (3 still drips a little) - based on this i am very suspicious of the motorised valve being broken. I believe that it is possible to just replace the motorised portion of the valve and stay dry. With the electricity isolated i may even avoid killing myself.

Also - the valve (3 on photo) is weeping at the spindle itself - and this is on the return side of the manifold

Does replacing this mean draining the system - i just don't know enough to be confident to give it a go ?

I have calls out to a couple of plumbers but no joy as yet in getting a response - i am just trying to understand the issue at this stage. I would contemplate changing the motorised valve, but the tap shown in (3) fills me with fear - and i don't want it also filling my house with water :)

Any thoughts welcome

I have purchased slippers in the meantime

Cheers in advance

Si

Any thoughts theories / engineers very welcome :)
ufh1.JPG

Attachments

• ufh1.JPG
    ufh1.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 5
You can probably get underfloor heating, with the gch. It’s likely that the zone valve has failed, which you’d be correct. The valve head (actuator) needs to be removed, for it to work with gch though.

The butterfly valve, would likely need a partial drain down to replace, or someone with a freeze kit.

Butterfly valve is probably just a gland remove the red handle you might find a nut that you can pinch up

Reply to Underfloor Heating broken in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock