Search the forum,

Discuss Ultimate DONT'S tips for plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalked

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Following on from the top tips thread. I will start off with a "don't do" that happened today.
dont sick your finger in the open end of a 25mm plasson mdpe socket to see if it's fully inserted!
one index finger stuck! Had to undo the outer ring with the free hand, then prize off the grip ring one the finger was released from the fitting. :49:

for any young apprentices out there:

don't be fooled by the left handed screw driver, or the MOT for the wheel barrow.

the lads sent the junior nearly a mile and a half with the wheel barrow to the builders yard and got him to book it in for the MOT service

hahahahahahha

Laddie up here was sent to shops ....asked for a 1/4 of fallopian tubes
was a post office FULL of pensioners...they were wetting themselves too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm ashamed to say when I was 18 and a very very green new start off shore on an oil rig 40 miles off the coast of Shetland they had me walking around the rig asking various individuals did they know where the long weight was for the drill floor Greenie

after 4/5 hours of being told to hang around here whilst someone went to sort it, I came to the conclusion that everyone on the rigs were half wits !!! I think i might hold the rig record for the longest weight!!!!!!!!

stupid boy!!!!

I bet all the blokes on the rig remember it too, as well as all the blokes on rigs for a couple of hundred miles around.

I was an apprentice at the time, my boss asked me to sharpen all the spade bits for drilling timber.

Of course I knew how to do it, because I had seen him do it numerous times.

Anyway - sharpened them all and they looked fantastic - boss was even impressed.

I had sharpened them the opposite way - they just polished the timber but worked great when the drill was operated in reverse.

Don't let your apprentice within 500 miles of your freezing machine while in operation.

Or don't turn your freezing machine off while freezing 35mm in an old vicarage, as your worried the pipe will burst.........like someone did on their first use of the machine many years ago!!!

Not plumbing related , but years ago i stripped a car bonnet with nitromoors, just wiped my hands on a rag and went for a slash, jesus wept, i thought i was going to end up in hospital . I would have preferred it to have been flux .

On about ones for apprentice overheard an apprentice chippy asking for a skirting board ladder at builders merchants but best bit was the bloke on the counter was looking for it on the computer then he asked some else if it would be called something else as it wasn't on the system never seen so many people dying of laughter

seen a young sailor looking over the ships side to look for loose spur lashings :) or another sent to the laundry to look for seaman staynes :) best of all the youngsters wetting them selves coz a chief petty officer has just given them all their "bunk light bills" of several hundred pounds, as they keep leaving them on during the day.

when I was an young naive apprentice, I was sent to the store room for a 'Long Weight'
I was there for over an hour while other guys were being served before the penny dropped!

do not listen to other peoples pricing. up north may be one price but down south may be another.
you may be good at what you do, but not as quick as the next man, but then next man may do more than you and quicker but not as good

Do a proper job charge a proper price. simples

If you start second guessing yourself about a job or how to do a job, stop and take a break and rethink your original thoughts.

Generally your original thoughts will be the right ones.

If not, your original thoughts cost you money.

Want to do it live? Dont! Sods law the pipe youve just cut wont take any fittings. Time to call for help!

Always carry a bog roll in the van. That's saved my socks on more than one occasion.

Always carry a bog roll in the van. That's saved my socks on more than one occasion.

I was doing a boiler change few year ago and needed to curl one out , place was a bedsit for students and obviously no bog roll .

Used my socks , anyway finished boiler got it up and running left , next morning got call from landlord saying students have blocked toilet!!

Turned out blockage was my socks lol , ended getting paid to unblock my blockage KERCHING

I was doing a boiler change few year ago and needed to curl one out , place was a bedsit for students and obviously no bog roll .

Used my socks , anyway finished boiler got it up and running left , next morning got call from landlord saying students have blocked toilet!!

Turned out blockage was my socks lol , ended getting paid to unblock my blockage KERCHING

Hammers, you disgust me!

I would of just put them back on.other Alf would not know as she says me feet stink like sh.t after a days graft a anyway...but pleased you socked it to them with a little bonus invoice

:82:

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to the "top tips" thread. I remember it got deleted once before. Has it been deleted a second time?

Shame if it has.

................saved my socks on more than one occasion.

What a middle classed life I must have lived , Only heard of Sock alternative watching TV .
(aged over 50 ... Runny nose always have Kitchen roll / Hankercheif in pocket )
What cold feet , rather rip a shirt sleeve off !

When the customer goes out and says help yourself to tea and coffee never use the milk from the tupperware jug.Never again when they come home and say o no you didn't use the milk in the container did you its breast milk for the baby :-(

When the customer goes out and says help yourself to tea and coffee never use the milk from the tupperware jug.Never again when they come home and say o no you didn't use the milk in the container did you its breast milk for the baby :-(

Aggghhhhhhh!! :willy_nilly:

I've been sent out when I was an apprentice looking for sky hooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ultimate DONT'S tips for plumbers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock