Search the forum,

Discuss UFH zone always on - what is causing it? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Deleted member 113144

Hi There

Currently using a Panasonic Air to Water UFH heating system in a new build and appear to have some gremlins in the system

1 - I've noticed that the kitchen zone is always hot if any other zone in the building is on. What could be causing this?
Additional info - I think it is not related to the wall mounted thermostat because I do hear that click on and off when i rotate it. Also, when no other zones are on, then this kitchen zone does not heat.

2 - Similar to above, half of the hall heats up when other zone(s) are on. (All of the hall heats up when I turn on the Hall zone)

3 - The sitting room has obvious cold spots. These cold areas are there even 24 hours after activation of heat in this zone.

Any hints or tips to solve are most welcome,

Many thanks
P

Sounds like there is wireing issues and if the cold area is one large space rather than random places that could be same.
As its a new build answer is quite simple get installers back! its there responsibility to get it working correctly.

Sounds like there is wireing issues and if the cold area is one large space rather than random places that could be same.
As its a new build answer is quite simple get installers back! its there responsibility to get it working correctly.
Thanks Exedon

Unfortunately I am unable to get the installer back in but thank you for your suggestion that there are wiring issues. Might there be other things that could be causing these issues? I.e could the actuator valve be stuck open on the kitchen zone if its always heated when other zones are activated?

P

That's certainly a possibility if you can get actuator head off you could check pin is moving freely.
You probably are going to someone experienced with this type of system to get eyes/hands on.

Hi Paulm,

Panasonic Air to Water UFH
Does this system have a tank (buffer)? And your UFH mixing manifold - does it have the mixing valve with the pump assembly?
Would you be able to pin a photograph here of the manifold please?

kitchen zone is always hot if any other zone in the building is on
Could you trace the actuator cabling to the UFH wiring centre? I think that there might be the mixing of the zone actuators (i.e. one part of certain zone is wired to different zone's actuator - I hope it make sense?)
What kind of wiring centre do you have? Can you make the photo of it too?

The sitting room has obvious cold spots
how many ports of the manifold are heating the Sitting Room zone? When the system is running, do the all pipes for that specific zone are getting warm (Flow and Return pipes)? Can you see that the actuators do lift (there also would be a flow through the valve).
I am thinking of two potential issues: either the actuators are wired to different zones; or there is not enough flow to that specific zone's port (this can be adjusted by the Flow Meter if required).

Last edited:
Hi PaulM,

Presumably your hall is quite large and has been split into 2 different loops. You mention cold spots in the sitting room, so do you know if your sitting room has also been split into 2 different loops, where the cold spots are one half of it?

As others have said, this is most likely an actuator issue. It sounds like the kitchen zone and one of the hall loops has the actuator valve permanently open, so when any zone calls for heat, the pump will come on and heat will be sent to the kitchen and hall because the valves are open.

If this is a brand new build, it's unlikely the pins will be stuck already. More likely that someone has mixed up the actuator heads, e.g. the kitchen actuator has been put on one of the sitting room valves and vice versa. Very easy fix, but you'll need to work out what's been done wrong.

As others have said, could you please post a photo. If your actuator heads are the type that move up and down when on/off, it's much easier to see what's going on.

Reply to UFH zone always on - what is causing it? in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock