Discuss two central heating pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then what does metres head of a pump indicate? And why do many small system boilers come with 6 metre pumps? A 5 metre pump will not pump well on a 3 story building.

Then what does metres head of a pump indicate? And why do many small system boilers come with 6 metre pumps? A 5 metre pump will not pump well on a 3 story building.
Metres head is one way of measuring the pressure the pump is able to produce. It could also be measured in Bar or Kilopascals.

If you connect a U-gauge manometer to the output of a circulator this will show the pressure produced. Just like measuring the pressure of a gas supply.

The reason for installing 6m pumps in many system boilers is that modern heat-exchangers have such a high resistance that a 5m pump would have very little pressure left to circulate water through the rads.

The pipes for a 3 storey building will be longer than for a 2 storey so the pressure loss will be greater, which will require a pump with a higher head.

It refers to the pressure difference (6m H2O, i.e. 0.6 bar or 60kPa) between the pump inlet and outlet at which the flow-rate (e.g. in m^3/hour) has fallen to zero. You can see for yourself by looking at the 'pump-curves' published by the manufacturers. For example:

https://uk.grundfos.com/content/dam/UK/Brochure/UPS2 datasheet 1214.pdf

It's not always true that 'A 5 metre pump will not pump well on a 3 story building'. When it is true it's because the pipework / radiator / pump sizing has been got wrong.

Thanks for both explanations.
I understand the 6m pumps were thought to be needed for modern heat exchangers. I also know the head of a pump can be thought of as the resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to two central heating pumps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
My central heating is run off a heat pump ( air to water ) quite expensive to run , So I’m plainning to fit a wood burning with a back boiler to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open...
Replies
Views
I just had a quote for a new boiler install as follows I dont undertand why a 15-60 boiler pump is needed and a 25-100 pump is needed as well I...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock