Search the forum,

Discuss Turning off the central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trigger25

When the warmer weather arrives and it's time to turn off the central heating what's the best position to leave the radiator TRV's in. Do people leave them in their current position or open them fully or fully closed.

As I found out in an earlier post the radiator valve has a pin in it and I was wondering if that's liable to get stuck during the summer months.

Thanks
Trigger

If they do get stuck then it is in the closed position normally, with the summer room temperatures above that of those set during the winter the valves would be closed for long periods, so this would make sense.

So if anything open them right up & switch off the heating using the time clock but personally I would just leave them alone on the settings you found comfortable during the heating season.

Sticking valves are as much to do with the maker &/or the cleanliness of the heating system water as it would be to the time they remain closed.

Thanks for your reply.

One further question regarding turning off the time clock. I've inherited a Salus RT 500-RF room stat when I moved in a few weeks ago and eventually mastered the programming. Do I switch off the unit by the boiler or do I program the room stat to a lower temperature setting when I no longer need the heating on.This particular room stat has 5 programs a day and has no off settings so to turn the heating off I set a couple of the programs to 10 degrees.

Most people will leave the TRVs alone, but leaving them fully open will allow movement of thermal cartridge and pin as temperature varies even though heating is turned off.

Thanks for your reply.

One further question regarding turning off the time clock. I've inherited a Salus RT 500-RF room stat when I moved in a few weeks ago and eventually mastered the programming. Do I switch off the unit by the boiler or do I program the room stat to a lower temperature setting when I no longer need the heating on.This particular room stat has 5 programs a day and has no off settings so to turn the heating off I set a couple of the programs to 10 degrees.

Hi Trigger
Yes you can switch the boiler heating switch off if you have a combi boiler or as you say lower the temp setting on the room stat or reading the instructions if you push & hold the back light / frost button on the front of the room stat it will put it into frost protection mode (factory set at 5deg C but adjustable) which will override all settings & only bring the boiler on if it gets that low.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I now understand things a lot better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Turning off the central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock