Discuss Toilet runs when shower is on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Marples

I have a problem with a toilet, directly behind this in another room there is a shower and i'm assuming they are both connected. The bathrooms are fully tiled so accessing the pipework isn't really an option.

The problem is that when the shower is on, the toilet keeps running. Not all of the time though.

I had a wild guess and thought that the pressure would be higher because of the shower running which is forcing water through to the valve. am i right? also what is the solution?
Thanks.

My guess is that the WC cistern was probably originally tank fed, and therefore has a low-pressure seating in the ballvalve.

When the shower pump was fitted, rather than just pumping the shower, its sited in such a way that it pressurises the ballvalve in the WC cistern as well. When the shower is in use, the flowswitch kicks the pump in, and the pressure on the low-pressure seating is too great, so it forces the ballvalve to fill the cistern, which is then overflowing internally.

Just a guess from a desk jockey - the real plumbers will be along later.

Rays right. Change the ballvalve in the wc for a high pressure one

Sounds exactly like what is happening. What would the solution to that be? New ball valve that can cope with the pressure?

Sounds exactly like what is happening. What would the solution to that be? New ball valve that can cope with the pressure?

If its an old fashioned ballvalve, it may have a little plastic seating in it like this

Swap it for a high pressure seating like this

Or just change the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet runs when shower is on. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock