Currently reading:
Toilet replacement

Discuss Toilet replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

I have a toilet in the shed.

I was trying to replace the inlet valve but now am thinking of repalcing the entire toielt as it is old and manky.

It is the old type with the cistern up high.

I also want to put in a small wall moutned basin to wash hands in.

====

The problem is that the toielt appears to be concreted in.

Do you think if I smashed the toilet off and took it away the drainage pipe would be within the ceramic white bit and and then it is just a case of putting a new toilet on?

Another option is to keep the bowl but repalce the cistern - I have attached a photo of the pipe - is this bog standard pipe you have nowadays or is it an old type? Can you still buy the connection to the toilet?

If I keep the bowl it means I cannot have a basin as I have nowhere for the waste to go - whereas if I put a whole new toilet in I can somehow at least get a soil pipe bit visible for waste water.

http://1drv.ms/1cCZJh7

Hi Mo7

You could smash it out and start again but if there is nothing wrong with it why bother?

Everything you have shown are all standard components. You have what is called a high/low level type as opposed to close coupled.

A new high/low level cistern either in plastic or ceramic would be a good option. I cant tell from the photos how high the existing cistern is up the wall, but you will need to be sure of the strength of the brackets if you mount a new ceramic cistern and get a new double seal rubber connection cone (straight replacement for the one you already have)

Hope this helps

Russell

It just looks a bit nasty

I was thinking of changing the cistern - the most ugly part but figured that if I was doing that I would get a basin in there. So I would need to replace the toielt so I could get access to a soil pipe fitting of somesort.

What will I see when i bash the toilet away? My concern is that the original drainage connectionwill end up getting damaged - I assume as its an outside shed some clay comes straight up to it.

My neighbour suggested I cut the toilet off and just put a new flexible conenction to the existing toilet (e.g leave a thin slice where it enters the ground) - therefore reducing risk of damaging the drainage pipe.

Hi Mo7.

This is "one of those" jobs.

My first thought was to advise you to leave it alone. There's nothing wrong with that rubberwell cistern - its one of the classics of plumbing - it was made from soon after I was born and I reckon many will still be working after I turn up my toes.

However, then I saw the post about you wanting to add a basin.

In theory, this is a dead simple job. In practice, its got feck-up written all over it.

My advice would be to call in a plumber who has been around a while. Handled right, and with luck, this is 3 hours work. With a bad DIY start, its irrecoverably bad news.

well the good news is I managed to get the new inelt valve thing attached which invovled cutting soem copper and adding a compression fitting with tap connector on it.

so for the moment the toilet is back to working so the excitement of wanting to change it has passed and I will think about it. I have a builder coming in next week so will see what he thinks.

A good reputable plumber who dose all aspects of work will be miles better than a builder,
If you post in the [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]
Someone on here will happily come round to quote for the job,

Just give it a crack up high with a lump hammer on the s trap bend near the top and pull the bits out the drain. Same with the sides. If were you though I'd leave it alone as the flush on those high cisterns are great. Not like today you have to flush two or three times to clear the pan. The irony of water saving!

well the good news is I managed to get the new inelt valve thing attached which invovled cutting soem copper and adding a compression fitting with tap connector on it.

so for the moment the toilet is back to working so the excitement of wanting to change it has passed and I will think about it. I have a builder coming in next week so will see what he thinks.
Don't get a builder to do it!! The last extension I done I ripped out the pipe work and started again it was that bad. The speedfit pipe never had inserts in and it was kinked everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet replacement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back