Discuss to drain or not to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Was watching watchdog couple months ago and they had a go at one of the plumbers because he drained down when not needed, amongst other things.

Now got me thinking how many of you drain the whole heating system and how many just drain individual radiators. Now I am not interested in freezing kits, i.e.

The example is radiator valve is broke and needs replacing, on the top floor, do you drain whole system or just drain down the radiator and open valves until pipes run dry?

Hi, new to this forum, makes for interesting reading. I tend to bung the open vent and cold feed, paint roller tray below the valve and release the pressure. Towels around the pipe and go for it. Have done them live in the past but can be quite messy, as someone stated earlier its not for the faint hearted :). I have tried the pipe freezing kits in the past but find them expensive and time consuming.

One tip I would add is after you have towels carefully fitted is use an old sheet to cover valve area and work blind to lift off valve & refit. Saves ceiling & Walls getting a squirt! :eek: Also don't forget to turn new valve off first before starting! Get someone to help reach you anything.

why did they say plumbers drain down when not needed??? who would do it unless it was necessary?
Guys on rogue traders would to make a job last an hour or two. Like that guy other week who drained everything to change a ball valve in a toilet. Put it where o' flow was & then charged over £600. :20:

Guys on rogue traders would to make a job last an hour or two. Like that guy other week who drained everything to change a ball valve in a toilet. Put it where o' flow was & then charged over £600. :20:

oh i see now, why is it always plumbers who get nailed on these programs?

I hate these blasted programs,

The vast majority of plumbers are very good and want to do a good job. For me whether to drain down or not depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, I'll only drain the top half of the house. Other times I'll drain the whole house.

No, use explaining to the customer that your sorry about his new carpet. The other day, leaking trv and newly decorated room, the customer told me 4 times that the wall paper was £35 per roll, it was already badly stained. I was not going to pay for that. So, drain down.

Bare walls, no cream carpet, just about to be decorated, yeah, don't mind taking a chance then.....

I would say 8 times out of 10 I bung on open vent or release pressure on sealed systems but every job is different. Cant stand using freeze kits ,had a bad experience once that put me off forever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to to drain or not to drain? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back