Discuss The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) Announcement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picking up on the points regarding costs, running costs to maintain MCS for one technology are approx £400-£450 for the year. As for the point about whether MCS will be necessary, since the announcement on the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) on Thursday the heating side of the Renewables industry ie. Heat Pumps, Solar Thermal and Biomass has started to accelerate rapidly. In a similar fashion to when the Feed in Tariffs were announced on the electrical side it is now expected that the renewable heat industry will over take and experienced heating installers will be the backbone of it as long as they know the technology and have gone through MCS Certification.

Hope this helps.

I feel that the anouncment that was made was not clear enough for potential customers and I have emails from customers telling me that they are not going to bother for a year

I've still to be convinced it will be worth my while doing it here, maybe leave it for another year

The DECC will be working on increasing consumers awareness over the next 12 months and this should make it clearer for end users about why they should install and will drive demand even more so than it is now.

Come on guys get real. Gas safe, corgi etc have been in force for god knows how long and thats law . How many times are you undercut by the cowboys without any training, some even do it right and what happens to them ...NOTHING
Now imagine whats gonna happen to you on renewables, you are in court (I doubt it) for putting in Mrs Browns solar panels cheaper than an MCS firm , yes you honour I have qualified as a solar installer , I was just trying to save Mrs Brown (and the government and in turn me as a tax payer) some money !!!!

Some firms are MCS registered after forming!! They have paid their money ... here we go , here we go here we go

See my other post under MCS registration though you could get the customer £5100 over 20 years so it is worth considering registering MCS , I am going to look at it .
I will let you all know what happens;)

Last edited:
Come on guys get real. Gas safe, corgi etc have been in force for god knows how long and thats law . How many times are you undercut by the cowboys without any training, some even do it right and what happens to them ...NOTHING
Now imagine whats gonna happen to you on renewables, you are in court (I doubt it) for putting in Mrs Browns solar panels cheaper than an MCS firm , yes you honour I have qualified as a solar installer , I was just trying to save Mrs Brown (and the government and in turn me as a tax payer) some money !!!!

Some firms are MCS registered after forming!! They have paid their money ... here we go , here we go here we go

sorry toddyplumb but the MCS is not the same as Gas Safe you do not have to be MCS accredited to install renewables You Only have to be MCS accredited if you want to register your customers MCS accredited equipment so that they can get any type of funding that might be available, Unlike Gas safe where it is a legal requirement that if you touch Gas you have to be registerd by law.

Exactly that was my point ( there was sarcasm in it) ! They cant enforce gas safe so there is no way MCS is gonna stop the one man band. You just need to be competative on price

Exactly that was my point ( there was sarcasm in it) ! They cant enforce gas safe so there is no way MCS is gonna stop the one man band. You just need to be competative on price
Hi Guys,

There will always be an chance for a one man band to not get accreditation and compete against you. However, in an industry which is fairly new territory for consumers, the only method they have of knowing the equipment is up to the job and the installer is, in addition to the fact they are installing to get the very lucrative government funding, is MCS Certification. So consumers are simply not looking at installers who dont have MCS because the question always comes up "well why havent you got it?"

sorry bud I completely missed
Or find the monumental loopholes, signed off another one today and still not accredited!!!

I have just come from a house (was on grand designs) I am going to go and have a look at his solar panels , have never worked since installed despite various calls and E mails , big firm !

I have just come from a house (was on grand designs) I am going to go and have a look at his solar panels , have never worked since installed despite various calls and E mails , big firm !

Plenty of crap solar installers out there
Surprising how many use solder fittings and fill with water lol

I assume its solar thermal and not PV, every time I look at a proplem with solar thermal its usualy because the boiler has been left to overide the solar thermal first thing in the morning, this means that by the time the sun is up the cylinder has already been replenished by the boiler, and the stats on the solar side of the cylinder are not allowing the solar pump to run. If this is the case time the boiler to come on late afternoon and not in the morning.

Been reading both the current threads on this subject and would be interested in solar thermal and ground source. What I want to know is the bottom line, none of the fluffy stuff with regard to a MCS accredited installer who has all the paperwork but doesn't know how to use a spanner. What can be offered to the customer in pounds and pence for installing the solar thermal and groundsource by an accredited MCS installer?
In my area up here it's mainly oil and I've already lost one oil boiler replace, due to oil prices over the winter and all the trouble in the middle east. They've gone for an electric combi, but thats another story.

Cheers.

Hi simonG

EasyMCSltd knows all those figures but if your working in an area where its mainly oil then yes definatley go for heatpumps and solar.

Dont limit yourself to just ground source though because they tend to be extremly expensive installs for youre averdige customers look at air source too.

Cheers Unguided, been busy reading the RHI info and having a look at air source. The air source would have been a good alternative for the electric combi, but the costs would not have fitted with the custs "budget". One interesting point I did note is that air source will not come under the RHI until at least the 2012 introduction, but is not gauranteed as they need to conclude "succesful" investigations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) Announcement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock