Search the forum,

Discuss Testing for hard water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike_s

How do I do this? I'm gas safe registered, 7 years experience, fully qualified in plumbing and gas to level 3 and installed tons of boilers yet I've never been told anything about this.

It states in Benchmark and certain installation manuals that a scale reducer must be fitted to combi boilers where the hard water is more that 200 ppm. I assume this is measuring lime scale? How do I do this? We do not have a major limescale problem in the vast majoritory of houses around here.

I have just been looking my self for a hard water test kit, you can get them on amzon or any where that sales water softeners. You can gets drops you put in the water, the more drops it takes to change the colour of the water the harder the water is. I think its one drop per10 ppm.
Hope thats a help. Bench marks are good but cost me a fourtune in trying to keep up with tools and equipment.

Bobb

haha yes I've been endevouring to complete all of the Bnechmark recently so theres no questions to me from the manufacturers if they have to come out under the warranty period.

Looks like I need a hard water test kit then, any reccomendations?

I don't know. Surely there must be a simple method for heating engineers?

If I go on my utility suppliers web site I can enter post code and get test results. I am in Welsh Water Area

just been on united utilities website and got this number to ring tomorrow 0845 746 2200 open from 8am-8pm if anybody else is interested. Will speak to boiler manufacturers also. I'm sure we don't have a major problem around here in the north west. United utilities state that most of the water around here is soft or very soft. Now I've heard that Worcester boilers shouldn't be fitted to soft water? It just sounds like another excuse for their warranties like the ph they state.

i think it's softened water Worcester boilers don't like not soft.

Yep just re-read this and realised, I got mixed up between soft and softened.

Get a tds meter.....simple and quick way to test. Just turn it on and dip it in! Must get one that tests for ppm......loads on flea bay.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

No mate, need a separate meter for that.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

be wary of what united utilities will tell you!

i've contacted them in the past about this (regarding what treatment i need for perfect beer brewing water)

they will give you a analytical breakdown of what is in the water. this will be accurate and is the only part of the report you should trust but only after it has been confirmed that it is postcode specific and not a geographical average that covers something like a quarter of the country.
if like me you live in the NW they also state that we are a soft water area. *******s to that. any local plumber will tell you, in fact any fool with a kettle and a bit of common sense will tell you that we are temp hard!

KJ

yep I thought we can't be all soft water as we do get some limescale and some people think they must have very hard water! I wonder how accurate they are for the area of a small town that we mostly work in. I'll speak to them and get a tds meter. May get fernox or kamco or one from WATER TESTING INSTRUMENTS - HM Digital

yep I thought we can't be all soft water as we do get some limescale and some people think they must have very hard water! I wonder how accurate they are for the area of a small town that we mostly work in. I'll speak to them and get a tds meter. May get fernox or kamco or one from WATER TESTING INSTRUMENTS - HM Digital

i have the hm tds and ph meters.....vey good.

got my tds meter of ebay for about ÂŁ30 including postage from usa. alot cheaper then it costs to buy from the uk. I always record the ppm on the benchmark now, shows any manufactures engineer you have checked and not invalidated there warranty as they all expect you to protect the boiler if you have a reading above 200ppm.

cheers sounds good, will get one and do the same, adds to your credibility too. Still not sure which to get but will look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Testing for hard water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock