Search the forum,

Discuss Tapping noise under bath - a leak??? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Jennie

Gas Engineer
Not a bath fitted by myself (I'd never tile it in for a start)...

Customer: "We think we may have a leak under the bath. When the bath is emptying from full to half full we can hear a tapping sound- but that’s the only time. If the bath is only full to a shallow amount, or using the shower there’s no tapping. No water marks of smell. Unfortunately our bath is completely tiled in, so getting under the bath I guess is a last resort. Could it be air pressure or blockage causing the sound? It’s not draining slowly."

I suspect a leak. The bathroom has only been in for two years, so likely I'll suggest they get the original installer back in. ((I'm off the tools at the moment with an arm injury)).

Any thoughts much appreciated (before I tell them to take tiles off).

Jennie

Wondering if the (prob Flexi) overflow pipe from the visible overflow plate on the bath down to the waste under the bath, has fallen off perhaps at the plate that prob has a plastic elbow behind it. Here is example of the bits I'm talking about:

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalp...93tUa_I3_8xevLXhAY8BrzGeS6KV-JioaAtpuEALw_wcB

Think the bath pan should be removable for maintenance. If that is rejected, you could perhaps suggest a borescope camera, but it won't do any actual work. Can get one for about £30 with WiFi to your phone.

Cheers,

Roy (amateur plumber)

Hi Jennie, does it do it more with hot water? I suspect it is just waste pipework rubbing on something- maybe worse with hot as pipes expand.
if there’s no sign of a leak below I doubt it’s a leak.
To prove to a customer in a similar situation I drilled a hole in back of airing cupboard and we left a twist of blue paper which came out dry - this wasn’t made good so they could repeat many times - there was no leak.

Can you access from other side of bath - ie air cupboard , wardrobe etc?

Reply to Tapping noise under bath - a leak??? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock