Discuss Taking on an apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimeServed

So today I had a local lad ask me if I was interested in taking on an apprentice. He's in his 1st year, doing 2 days a week at college but without any practical on site experience. According to him I can receive a government cash back of xxxx amount..... He's also given me the number for the college rep who deals with this.
Obv I will need to contact the college and find out further details, but I was just wondering how others have found having an apprentice on board? Are they worth the hassle? Worth the money/investment? Etc..........

My boss took me on a three week trial when i started and I'm just finishing my apprenticeship. to be honest i was quite a slow starter practical wise but i picked up the technical side very quickly but I've got here in the end!
Now my boss sends me to jobs by myself quite often and I'm pretty competent

he took on his friends son straight away with no trial and.... Its a different story...

do a trial before you commit!

Luck of the draw really if you can get a good one who show's some willing.
Not like some of the numptys i've had, can't get their hands out their pockets and when they do they are on facebook.

Wouldn't do it again not with what the p l insurance want extra aswell.

I did my own insurance from the start, shows your willing and gives you some motivation to do more!

sad to say but they do more harm than good for to long, it costs you in insurance etc and the government contribution isnt worth the hassle. if they paid me as much as the college gets then it would become more worthwhile!

I've had a few apprentices. Mostly good and one numpty. The grants are not what you will do it for as they are laughable. If you have the work and the inclination to pass on your knowledge do it.
It can be hard work at times and sometimes you will feel like you are their fkn social worker. They are all hard work to begin with. You and I were probably hard work too tho. Get the right one and you win a watch.

So today I had a local lad ask me if I was interested in taking on an apprentice. He's in his 1st year, doing 2 days a week at college but without any practical on site experience. According to him I can receive a government cash back of xxxx amount..... He's also given me the number for the college rep who deals with this.
Obv I will need to contact the college and find out further details, but I was just wondering how others have found having an apprentice on board? Are they worth the hassle? Worth the money/investment? Etc..........

You can receive a governement cash back. In my opinion everybody deserves a chance, But I would say that because I am looking to become an apprentice myself. I'm sure that if somebody is taught well then they would be worth the investment.

Just my opinion :)

Its good to put back and teach right everyone has the stance of well he is gonna be my competetion so no ! That carrys on and the industry will die ! The moneys pathetic and woth some colleges if he works for you then you have to pay hos course ! Your pl goes up so the money you do get will soon be swallowed up ! It isnt a bonus for you ! But teach him right ! Oh and get a contract written up ! Dont wanna train him for a week after he passes to get a van and do one !

Take him out with you for 1 day, no pay, no commitment, you'll soon decide if he's worth it.

If he's stood at the back of you watching and passing tools he's O.K.
Send him to the van for bits and see how long he takes.

If he's sat on his iphone, bin him off.

All of most resent have been a waste of time can't get them off there phone, world of there own from 2pm asking what time they finish god help you if they have them there after 5pm. And they have more rights then god. We have had 3 really good lads out of 9 the 3 are all out of time now and good engineers the rest are gone and the company has give up and will not take on any more. if you get a good one great if not they an a nightmare to get rid of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Taking on an apprentice? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock