Search the forum,

Discuss System drain-down / refill problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moggs

Hi all. I hope that somebody can help me to get on top of a wasted weekend. Vented system Potterton Prima 50F boiler was kettling for a while so I decided to drain down and refill, adding X200 descaler. The drain-down went OK yesterday, but I have had problems refilling and getting the system to work.

I expected some issues in getting air out, but never this much! Some of the downstairs rads filled quite quickly but some were slow to release air. Couldn't get air from quite a few upstairs - they seem to be sucking air rather than venting. I'm wondering whether water is getting down from the f&e tank(?)

Manually opened the diverter valve to see if this woud help. Spent an afternoon of trying to get air out, eventually adding water down the air relief valve open port (airing cupboard), as the pump hadn't primed (rising leg from the pump) which seemed to refill the system and got the boiler working (it didn't try to jump off the wall and throw the safety trip since the top up).

Boiler 'worked' up until I switched all off last night. This morning, switched the main electrical supply on again and found that the boiler was noisy again, rattled badly and then tripped. Topped up via the air relief valve again and boiler partially works again but, only with certain settings on the programmer (this results in hot water going to the rads, even when only water heating is called for. Another complication now is that the programmer sometimes doesn't allow me to manually operate h/w or c/h select buttons.

I didin't have these problems on an earlier system flush and I'm wondering what can have gone wrong after what should have been a simple drain and refill. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Moggs welcome to the forums. did you unlatch the diverter valve? with it still latched open you will get heat to the rads when heating the hot water

Hi Moggs welcome to the forums. did you unlatch the diverter valve? with it still latched open you will get heat to the rads when heating the hot water

Hi Steve. Thanks for the welcome. The manual activation lever certainly wound the gear and the valve across to the manual position. The lever travel back to auto, is loose (do I have to do something else to unlatch it?). I can see that the valve seems to be approx 1/3 travel at the moment.

usually the latch engages in a notch, the lever will feel loose even if it is still notched over. do you know what make of diverter you have? what colour is the box on top

vented systems, I either get a wet vac on the vent over the f&e tank or backfill if I have problems

Hmm the only vent that I can see is the one going back to the main cold water tank (this will be from HW cylinder) - only a feed going out of the f&e. What's the best method for back fill? There's a bleed valve at the top of the boiler on one of the pipes there. CH pump is on now and there's a lot of gurgling. My rad drain valves are the not-so-helpful 'internal screw' type. Thanks to all.

there will be a 22mm copper pipe bent over to hang over the top of, or just below the lid of the f&e tank.. its likely to come from the heating coil of the DHW cylinder

it wont have a termination etc, it will just hang over the top of the tank as an open ended pipe

That's certainly what I was looking for Jay - but I can't see one. Just the bottom feed to the system and the overflow. It's not been a good day....

That's certainly what I was looking for Jay - but I can't see one. Just the bottom feed to the system and the overflow. It's not been a good day....

crikey, not sure what to advise other than to say that there should be one, so check the cylinder for a pipe going up from the heating coil to the roofspace somewhere..

sounds like someone has 'worked' on it at some point ;)

crikey, not sure what to advise other than to say that there should be one, so check the cylinder for a pipe going up from the heating coil to the roofspace somewhere..

sounds like someone has 'worked' on it at some point ;)

unless its a combined feed and vent

Turn the pump off
Don't fill or bleed with the pump running, you'll suck air in.
No problem - no I have tried to bleed with system off.

Only option now that I can think of is to backfill. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to System drain-down / refill problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock