Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Suitable Digital room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pancho00

I have a standard gas fired central heating system with a Landis & Staefa analouge (dial) room thermostst and an ideal and an Ideal Classic boiler. I would like to change the room thermostat for a digital type so as to have more precise control over the temperature. Would like some advice on what type would be suitable for me to fit. Thermo is currently fitted to the wall in the entrance hallway. It has three wires connected, Earth (yellow/green) a yellow wire and a red wire with an unused blue wire. Is it at all possible to fit a thermostat with a remote control? Any advice or help would be appreciated.

I've got a Drayton wireless room stat, and I am very pleased with it.

http://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/in...nvideos/commissioningawirelessroomthermostat/

You will need a permanent live for the Drayton - if there isn't one in the hall, you may be able to locate the receiver near to the rest of your controls, i.e. in the airing cupboard, etc.

I cut my gas bill by over 20% last winter, and the stat paid for itself and some more.

They can be troublesome, but worth the risk of hassle imo.

Welcome to the forum pancho00 :)

with the two wires you describe you can fit quite a few different design thermostats. Can't say I've ever come across one that works on a remote mind! That's pure laziness if you ask me :) That is unless you mean wireless?

shouldn't be a problem as long as there is a permanent live and you wire it up correctly

Welcome to the forum pancho00 :)

with the two wires you describe you can fit quite a few different design thermostats. Can't say I've ever come across one that works on a remote mind! That's pure laziness if you ask me :) That is unless you mean wireless?

I don't think Sky have come up with that yet - although I believe you can get an iPhone to do it via the Internet - great way to wind the missus up by turning the heating down from your van!! lol

Why not replace the thermostat with a programmable room stat? I have a Honeywell CM927 and highly recommend it. You can fit the receiver next to the wiring centre and use the stat as a remote control. Wiring is simple enough.

If you are happy with the stat staying in the same place get your self a Drayton Digi stat 3, its half the price of the radio frequency stats and only requires 2 wires. I try not to fit the rf stats any more due to them easily braking or confusing the hell out of the customer on how to set them up when the batteries have died.

If you are happy with the stat staying in the same place get your self a Drayton Digi stat 3, its half the price of the radio frequency stats and only requires 2 wires. I try not to fit the rf stats any more due to them easily braking or confusing the hell out of the customer on how to set them up when the batteries have died.

I do exactly the same! Replaced a lot of RF Stats after a couple of years use!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Suitable Digital room thermostat in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock