Currently reading:
Stainless steel pipe in domestic plumbing

Discuss Stainless steel pipe in domestic plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dave1234

Does anyone know anything about the stainless steel pipe that was fitted in my house.
The house is roughly 30 years old and was built by Mctaggart and Mickel.
The the name on the pipe is permapipe.
A pipe slice wont look at it so ive been cutting it with a hacksaw
Is this the best way to cut it?
Is that what they used when they installed it?
Dave

You can get different wheels for your cutters. A normal wheel will be knackered in one or two cuts, same with a hacksaw blade.
Stainless steel was fitted in the 70's due to a copper shortage.
If the pipes are on a heating system it is very unlikely to be stainless. It will more than likely be truewell. If it is you need to completely replace it even if it looks ok on the outside as it eats away from inside and is a flood waiting to happen.

Agree with tamz.

Used load of it in the seventies, orrible stuff, no give in it, so can't ease out off sets a bit, if under or over bent.

Must admit though kept you on your toes measuring bends!!!

You should have seen the size of the scrap mountain though?

agree with tamz.

Used load of it in the seventies, orrible stuff, no give in it, so can't ease out off sets a bit, if under or over bent.

Must admit though kept you on your toes measuring bends!!!

You should have seen the size of the scrap mountain though?

and it was worthless too:D:D:D:D

mctaggart is an investigator he will know!!!

chop it with angle grinder/

The scrap was virtually worthless to start with. Then for some reason it shot up in price. It was like a magicians vanishing trick, the scrap mountains just seemed to melt away over night.

I've come across this stuff (truewell). They're right, it's nice and silver on the outside, and a rusty mess within. I will post a picture from a job I stripped out last year. Notice the hole in the bottom left hand corner.
10.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stainless steel pipe in domestic plumbing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back