Search the forum,

Discuss Square brass stop tap needs changing never seen one before in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craigy

I've to change a mains stopcock that won't shut fully and I've never seen the type before, so do not know if I need to swap like for like or not.
its alcatheme pipe 20mm into the house then a 20-15mm brass stop tap but it has a 2 inch square brass body. It looks a bit like a pzr but I've only ever seen modern ones in commercial set ups and they are alloy coloured and spherical.. The house was built in the 1970s.
Anyone come across this or have any ideas from my description. No pics I'm afraid.

It's been done once and that's knackered too. Flow rate has decreased since it was shut the re opened by customer, I tried having a fiddle to no avail so think it's come it's thread inside. No mains tap outside either it's either under the mountain of Tarmac on the drive or concreted over.

First thing I would do is get waterboard to locate or fit external stopcock. Or make sure you have a squeeze off tool.

Yes got about 2 inch one side and the other its in a corner. Are you talking plastic or brass?

I've to change a mains stopcock that won't shut fully and I've never seen the type before, so do not know if I need to swap like for like or not.
its alcatheme pipe 20mm into the house then a 20-15mm brass stop tap but it has a 2 inch square brass body. It looks a bit like a pzr but I've only ever seen modern ones in commercial set ups and they are alloy coloured and spherical.. The house was built in the 1970s.
Anyone come across this or have any ideas from my description. No pics I'm afraid.

I got a key from drain center ( ÂŁ15) , could not budge it , Thames water said I could have caused 1 million pound of damage if I turned it , back pressure to water mains in rd , ,, he was bit off a drama queen

As already stated get water board out to find O/Side stopcock, [soon find it if you tell them you want a meter fitted]

I use the squeeze off now and again was sceptical the first time bu I have used it maybe 5/6 times now and touch wood never a problem with it

i would never use a squeeze off tool on black alkathene as it often gets brittle. fine if its blue mdpe.

can you not freeze pipe between the 2 existing stoptaps and unwind the workings of the newer one and strip and service it or replace the workings?

Freeze it then get the guts out, it's very rare not to be able to give a stopcock a bit of tlc to get her going again

I have 20 mins working time so will take new stop tap and spares to service current and make a decision when I see inside the tap body. Thanks all for advice will do job Tuesday so will let you know if I end up knee deep in water or a happy man!

i would never use a squeeze off tool on black alkathene as it often gets brittle. fine if its blue mdpe.

can you not freeze pipe between the 2 existing stoptaps and unwind the workings of the newer one and strip and service it or replace the workings?
First stop tap is restricting flow so needs attention I wish I could just work on the one upstream instead much easier but thanks for advice anyway.

what about taking the gubbins out of the first one and putting a plug in to do away with it totally? like this
blackironplug.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Square brass stop tap needs changing never seen one before in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock