Discuss So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree totally on that one. That's pretty much what I try to do now on that initial phone call, the potential leads don't seem to realise it but I am really grilling them. If I don't like what I'm hearing I am just booking too far ahead to be useful to them. Then I pass their details onto the gas fitter I use who aims bang on the middle of the market.

I missed this gem earlier. Excellent post.

If you really sell a premium product or service, you shouldn't see everyone as a customer. Your potential customers are only those willing and able to pay a premium price, and your marketing and advertising ought to be aimed at identifying those people.

Focussing on the correct customer group can save a fortune in wasted time.

Why are you wasting your time on herw then ray?....:p:p:p:p:p:p

I was meant to go and quote for a boiler installation job today and had arranged a time - btw 1&2 pm. Yesterday, the chap phoned to let me know four others will be quoting for the same job. I sent him a text message at 8 am today wishing him all the best for 2014 and made him know I will not be attending to quote for the job.
I can understand asking quotes from THREE tradesmen/women. But five or more? Where do people have the time to show five people around their house? The minute someone needs more than THREE companies to quote, then they're after the cheapest quote, that's how I see it.

I was once asked to come and quote for a shower pump installation. After agreeing a day and time, the chap rang to let me know that others will be quoting as well. He made me aware that whoever provided the cheapest quote will get the job. Needless to say I never attended.

Last edited:
letting agent called me today to go to a regular landlords failed oil boiler, making a lot of noise, not working and burnt electric smell. So I fathom the motors probably burnt out, and as there is an immersion and not cold, they can wait till monday as no parts available at 1300 on a sat. Plus is the landlady happy to cough for w/end callout, to no avail? Letting agents response, the tenant needs heating get on with it, so I rang landlady, and explained situ only to be informed that the leting agent has sent their guy who was available now and only charged £25 an hour anyhow!! wtf!!! I try and do her a favour and get burnt both ends, apart fm the fact I was installing a boiler for a lovely old lass who kept me in coffee all day:) I have come to the conclusion theres more assholes out there than there used to be and the expect us all to respond like the AA thanks to BG and their ads, so that one day we will all disappear up our rears and bg can really sting the dopes out there. Bearing in mind that anyone charging £25 to go on callouts over a weekend will have got a job in tescos as well, whilst helping to ruin it for the rest of us!! rant rant rant

I can't remember the quote origin but the sentiment remains.

'Avoid those who know the price of everything and the value of nothing'

Although it's easy to do when times are good, don't bow to people who want cheap. Covert those him value your expertise.

Why are you wasting your time on herw then ray?....:p:p:p:p:p:p

I don't sell a premium product, so I have to make do with customers lower down the evolutionary scale. In your case, much further down. :)

When do you want that fortic delivered incidentally?

I don't sell a premium product, so I have to make do with customers lower down the evolutionary scale. In your case, much further down. :)

When do you want that fortic delivered incidentally?

You said about running the risk of a customer saying they dont want the product and you getting left with it.....

My favourite around 18 months asked to quote a new commercial boiler fitted in a cellar, meet property developer on site .....it was bit out in the sticks, turn up to empty building, 2 un marked vans and an Aston Martin.......wonders down open cellar door a tad late, 2 other guys there to quote, said developer then spits out speech blah blah " I got you all here at the same time, to save time and fuel for me as i am a very busy man please quote to this spec, cheapest will win the tender" blah blah etc

Fuming as the guy was an a hole, also unrealistic in what he was asking for his budget and time waster ( 2 other companies failed to show or it would have been 5!)

I phoned him that same afternoon, £7k+VAT I said verbally ( holding back my giggles by my rough calcs the gear alone was over £10K+ VAT) he said he would let me know, I saved his number in my phone and then buttoned him on numerous occasions, playing the game, I eventually answered, he wanted to meet me on site sounding very keen, informing me I had "just" won the tender, I was also to attend with the quote in writing, I said no problem.

Said day arrives, I forgot about it on purpose, he rings
"where are you I am on site and I am waiting"
my reply
" oh yeah sorry my time and fuel is also important" click beeeeerrr number blocked!

Did'nt fancy dragging a CXi out of the cellar anyhow lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to So fed up with ignorant customers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock