Search the forum,

Discuss Slow leak from pipe in airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Liz

Hey all,

I have a bit of a leak in a pipe between the pump and thermostat in my airing cupboard. I'm due to ring a plumber I've been given a number for but does anyone know if this is a quick job to fix and how much it might be? I assume it's a straight forward replacement of pipe?

Thanks

Liz

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 85
liz can we have a wider picture showing more of the pipe please. should be fairly straightforward to change just would like to see more.

Needs new pump valves - better both changed, & should be gate type, as better quality. New copper pipe also. Should cost about £800.

Sorry, joking! Shouldn't cost more than 2 or 3 hrs labour + parts.

I agree about a new pump valve(s) but round my parts this would be nearer £125 for a half day's work.

Or am I missing something?

Does the heating even work? From the pic it looks like the copper's corroded away and the pipe is blocked and holding back the water.

it might be as said above min of 2h labour plus cost materials , from the photo it does ring the bell that this leak is been going for long time , should have sort it out earlier and would have cost much less .

well its got a drayton 3 port motorized valve above it,soak that pump valve in wd 40 get the footprints drain the system replace one valve ,bit of pipe,cone etc refill jobs a good un,so yes liz its a simple repair £125 is a fair price but ask if some inhibitor could be put back in the system to stop corrosion

I agree about a new pump valve(s) but round my parts this would be nearer £125 for a half day's work.

Or am I missing something?
Sorry, couldn't resist! If I could get £800 for a job like that, I think I would just hand myself over to " Rogue Traders " before they caught up with me! Might be hard to keep up with my Ferrari though!

i have the same job booked in for wednesday + a 22mm gate valve £160/180 depends where you live and a few other factors like rads, accessibility etc.

if you let us know your area there maybe someone on here near to you.

Is it just me or is half that pipe missing? That looks like a bigger job than just replacing that one little bit of pipe!

Is it just me or is half that pipe missing? That looks like a bigger job than just replacing that one little bit of pipe!
Think you are right! The more I look at picture, even enlarging, it does look like the pipe is ate away. Odd, unless it is just illusion.

I can't decide. Maybe it is an illusion! I'm waiting to see another picture.... Shame you scared her off with your £800 quote!! lol

That's why I quickly replied, saying I was joking. I am starting to feel guilty now! lol

Last edited:
sussed it, if you blow the pic up you will see that it has corroded away and requires re-piping as the feed is blocked solid.

That's why I quickly replied, saying I was joking. I am starting to feel guilty now! lol
then again if the rest of the system is anything like that piece the price will be more like what you said first

If that pipe is corroded through - new system! £8k! :punk:

I never knew you could zoom in that far! Now i'm sure it's completely corroded. All my days! I've never seen a pipe corroded that bad!

I think someone is on the wind up here! There is no way this is a genuine inquiry! " I have a bit of a leak" LMAO

Now I don't feel so guilty!:blush5: Looks like it will take more than 2 or 3 hours! You couldn't put a price on that job, as you wouldn't know what you would find.

Now I don't feel so guilty!:blush5: Looks like it will take more than 2 or 3 hours! You couldn't put a price on that job, as you wouldn't know what you would find.
Strip it out and put new system in! Shouldn't let a system get that bad!

Wow. You guys make a head ache sound like a terminal cancer of the brain

Don't panic the op. it's just 3" of 22mm and a valve

£150 is what I'd get for that

again poster has no location so we are giving advice with no chance the work will go to one of us im going to keep on about this
MANDATORY LOCATION FOR ALL POSTERS

Look at op posts.
This was posted on another thread back in august 2010, I thought the date on the photo was out, but obviously not.

I am quite suprised that nobody on here has mentioned the fact that when replacing the valves there is very little chance that they will come off from the pump so may be a new pump. or am I missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slow leak from pipe in airing cupboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock