Discuss Sick of the poor quality of materials and tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest123

....I tend to buy so called quality brand names but even those are becoming a liability. Everything from knife blades to plumbing fittings have reduced in quality probably due to them being bulk made with lower grade materials to save the manufacturers money but these savings are never passed on to us, only the poorer quality is.

If I pay a premium for a brand name over a budget brand, I expect premium quality, but sadly this is no longer the case.

This one does my nut in severely. Even when you buy so called good quality stuff it is still junk and cheaply made.

Yes it is really the case and not just us getting older and moaning they don't make like they used to because they really don't

Seems to be some really badly made rubbish out there at the minute.... Had to return a bag of end feed Tees last week because the branch on over half of them was too small to take a tube.

No, they weren't reduced Tees... hehe

Yes it is really the case and not just us getting older and moaning they don't make like they used to because they really don't

And i thought it was just me!

Probably it is because we can remember was stuff was better made and better "quality" :lol:

I totally agree, had the same problem with tee's. Inlet and flush valve's drive me nut's. Tool's I find are made in the same factory and painted and stamped with different names, I even watched how its made a while back and same was done with toilets and basins, sent back a thousand pound bath as it had the thickness of tracing paper. Life's hard enough

i came across some old 8mm pipe,it was twice the pipe we get today, same can be said for copper cylinders,every thing is to the bone now,i'm afraid it's a case of just getting on with it,the punter does not no any differant nor do they care.!

when i started plumbing only the rich had a new bathroom suite fitted probably 30% of the population had no bathroom now people change bathrooms like they do shoes and want it cheap so we get crap matierials and crap wages to fit them the value has been lost
And it the same with everything processed and modified foods ,cheap shoddy goods coming in from abroad
when a brand builds up a following for quality and reliability the owners are offered prices they cant refuse by the multinationals for the brand
the accountants then cut the quality to produce higher profits and brand winds up rubbish screwfix is one such company when it was small family run it built up a loyal following of customers now its just a builder version of argos

I bought a case of 100 knife blades (market leader) and point broke on every one used so far with little pressure....useless
A dozen or so P traps and every one had a tiny V shaped tear in the trap seal....useless
Out of 20 isolating valves, only 3 compressed fully onto the pipe, the olives were a fraction too big....useless
Took a bath back as the outlet wasn't drilled centred and was like paper....useless
Even brass and copper fittings are not nearly the same quality as they once were. I could write a book on crap tools with high price tags.
I buy so called premium brand names to make my job easier as I don't have time to return to fix leaks and it's becoming time consuming ensuring that these brand names are water tight.

Seems quality and pride in manufacturing is "out the window" now and profit is more important. I'd name the brands in question, but my post would probably get deleted.

I know what brands your on about and a lot is still branded the same but is not manufactured where it used to be ****** is one of them

well there is one upside. buy cheap with impunity and charge as if it were expensive because essentially it is the same thing.

Most people wouldn't know quality anything if it bit them on the rse. They don't care how badly made or fitted it is and it is not all down to the cost of buying.

My kids (they are in their 20's) think nothing of buying a ÂŁ200 pair of shoes or a hundred pound tee shirt made by some wee lassie sitting in a tin hut in Vietnam who got paid 5 pence to make it!

Must agree with the comments, the number of new items that you fit and then either have to change because they are faulty or have to repair new things is definatly on the increase. Every bath you get now, the waste hole / underside flange is misshappen. When you used to fit a 5* bath waste it would seal on its own, now you end up having to use sealant or gamble

well there is one upside. buy cheap with impunity and charge as if it were expensive because essentially it is the same thing.

Have noticed same, - some of the " top " brands are now worse than the middle of the road stuff. The British brand of rad valves that we all know, are now supplied with nuts that have less depth that you can hardly keep a spanner on & poor olives. The chrome looks like silver paint on the nuts also.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but im new to all this so looking through all sorts of stuff for information really.....I unfortunatly have no clue what brands you are all going on about here....but we all give praise to good things we buy, so I dont see the harm in naming and shaming the crap stuff being produced (regardless of brand)....to me thats letting them off the hook as were turning a blind eye to it....these companys will only fix it (if they give a monkeys) when word of mouth about its dodgy produced products starts hitting their bottom line....hope its not against forum rules to name these brands, especially any made here in the UK as I for one still hope that "Made in the UK" means something special.

Sorry to bring up an old post, but im new to all this so looking through all sorts of stuff for information really.....I unfortunatly have no clue what brands you are all going on about here....but we all give praise to good things we buy, so I dont see the harm in naming and shaming the crap stuff being produced (regardless of brand)....to me thats letting them off the hook as were turning a blind eye to it....these companys will only fix it (if they give a monkeys) when word of mouth about its dodgy produced products starts hitting their bottom line....hope its not against forum rules to name these brands, especially any made here in the UK as I for one still hope that "Made in the UK" means something special.

Re-cycled metals explains a lot of the problems with tools today.

Hundreds of tons of high quality (old) hand tools have been shipped to Africa from Britain over the past 30 years - so if you fancy a safari and a shopping expedition for tools, that's the place to go.

Or a bit nearer, Axminster tools in Devon - they even do mail order.

Axminster is where I buy circular saw blades and all things to do with wood work.

I read through this old thread with interest. Certainly lots of the valves and fittings that we sell now don't compare favourably with those we sold when I started, back in the mid eighties.

Relatively speaking, some plumbing gear has got WAY cheaper. Some of it is better, some is worse.

A few months ago, we came across some archived invoices from 1972. I was surprised that endfeed fittings were selling for more or less the same price then as we sell them now, 40 years later. The quality was probably better - mostly delcop or nibco, but the relative price was way higher back then.

The day I started, in 1986, the special offer was a Chaffoteaux Celtic 220 RS combi, at ÂŁ465 + VAT for boiler and flue and including a free Switchmaster 300 timeclock. Today we are selling an Ideal Independent 24 with flue and clock for ÂŁ16 less. I don't know exactly what inflation has been since then, but I know that a 23 yr old trainee counterhand was on ÂŁ90 a week, because I still have the old pay envelope. (Remember when wages came in cash on a friday in a little brown envelope?)

A combi filling loop (about ÂŁ15 back then) was considered a luxury item. A common order with a combi was a pair of washing machine taps and a w/m hose for a makeshift filling point. :)

At the same time, we offered a cheap bathroom suite (low level pan, plastic cistern, 22x16 basin on brackets, 3mm bath, cheapo seat, acrylic head taps) for just under ÂŁ150 plus VAT, and we sold loads of them. I could probably just about source the same thing at the same price today - problem is, no one would buy it, not because the plumber would reject the quality, but because the householder would reject the appearance.

Cylinders reached a low point about 10 years ago, with the so-called "medium duty" or "tiger" cylinders. I remember talking to a manufacturer at the time - an old fashioned coppersmith - and he could weep that his customers demanded such a low price that he had to make rubbish. I would hate to try to take an immersion heater out of one with side immersions - the boss is brazed onto a wall so thin that it surely must tear like tin-foil. Since part L came in, cylinder quality has improved a lot - walls are thicker, coils are longer, and the return rate is back to where it was 25 years ago.

I just looked up our sales on 15mm isolating valves. It doesn't make pretty reading.

2.5% heavy pattern
2% full-flow heavy pattern
95.5% cheap 'n' cheerful, guaranteed till the van gets to the end of the road. :)

On another thread a little while ago, I looked up the stats for brass-bodies, copper upstand b/e ballvalves. I think it was 1% of total BE ballvalve sales - the rest were all plastic.

I think that when a certain percentage of the market demands a lower price, and accepts the drop in quality, it no longer makes economic sense for even big brand manufacturers to invest in the top quality product. They are more interested in their competitive position, so while they may still be better than the very cheapest, since the standard of the cheapest has dropped, the standard of the best has also dropped.

Ray

The upside is that all those low quality, unreliable, short life-span fixture and fittings will ensure a constant flow of work for plumbers, plasterers, and carpet fitters.

Every cloud has a silver lining!

Most things you buy these days just about make it out of the warranty period - built in obsolescence is a fine art!

poor materials can make you look like a bad tradesman, especially stuff like traps,wastes, taps etc...... any leak is your fault even tho your having to fit stuff that struggles to hold water on a good day.

If you had the choice you would buy a float valve with a brass body and or thread, but you normally have to deal with the poor quality plastic one that came with the cistern. Maybe its our own fault as trademen and a country for not demanding better? money talks tho.

poor materials can make you look like a bad tradesman, especially stuff like traps,wastes, taps etc...... any leak is your fault even tho your having to fit stuff that struggles to hold water on a good day.

If you had the choice you would buy a float valve with a brass body and or thread, but you normally have to deal with the poor quality plastic one that came with the cistern. Maybe its our own fault as trademen and a country for not demanding better? money talks tho.

Yes, agree that using cheap tat may be bad for the individual reputation, but then it does mean work for others, so good for the industry in general.

The life-span of this rubbish has to be carefully planned and based on the average time it takes for a customer to lose a receipt/invoice, and completely forget a name and telephone number - six weeks should cover it for most people.

China is now the workshop of the world, India is the scrap yard, and we in the West keep the system going by consuming copious amounts of junk!

So don't spoil things Mr Wheating, do your bit for world trade!

You can buy 1/2" brass backnuts for taps and stuff and they have scrimped on the brass so much that a box spanner of correct size wont work. Just spins around the nut

You can buy 1/2" brass backnuts for taps and stuff and they have scrimped on the brass so much that a box spanner of correct size wont work. Just spins around the nut

I think they're all metric in China - if you buy a 1/2" Chinese box spanner it will probably fit.

I dont want to buy a chinese box spanner. My rothenberger box spanner should work just fine in a perfect world. As we all know, its not a perfect world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Sick of the poor quality of materials and tools in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock