Search the forum,

Discuss Shutting off water supply in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Need to do a relatively simple job(change washer on tap in kitchen), but the stop tap is seized, any idea if this is an isolation valve which will do the same job?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• 480581D6-CC93-4B98-9E0B-60E1CC21E594.jpeg
    480581D6-CC93-4B98-9E0B-60E1CC21E594.jpeg
    427.8 KB · Views: 22
Looks like an earlier Speedfit, similar to below pic.
BUT it wouldn't be wise to try and use it.
It's likely it will leak after,
You may end up with it stuck in to Off position,
It may shear off and you'll end up with a flood rather than a drip.

If you were going to attempt using it, it would be wise to know where to isolate up stream, possibly in the street, just in case.
But if you know where that is you may as well, isolate there instead.

Speedfit iso.PNG

You don’t, don’t use that as it will leak after

Thanks for your replies.
Looks like we’re screwed then,as we’re in a top floor flat, so turning the water off in the street would affect the other flats in the building, and would more than likely require contacting the water board 😑.
Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies.
Looks like we’re screwed then,as we’re in a top floor flat, so turning the water off in the street would affect the other flats in the building, and would more than likely require contacting the water board 😑.
Thanks again.

You should have an internal mains stop tap might be worth contacting the building owner etc if there is one

Depends on the age / layout of the supply withint the building but there may be individual isolation within the building.
Alternately a Plumber would be able to isolate the water, change the flat's stop tap and have the water back on before anyone else had any issues or noticed.

Or even free off the existing one.

I have access to the stop tap which is next to the immersion tank. Unfortunately I can’t get it to budge, it’s obviously seized due to limescale etc. Very frustrating.

Attachments

• BDC45CC1-9873-40A9-9879-829ED3E37A5C.jpeg
    BDC45CC1-9873-40A9-9879-829ED3E37A5C.jpeg
    470.2 KB · Views: 12
I have access to the stop tap which is next to the immersion tank. Unfortunately I can’t get it to budge, it’s obviously seized due to limescale etc. Very frustrating.
Get something to help turn the valve handle. Very rarely do they completely seize.

Turn it back and forward even by an 8th a few times and it should free up.

Make sure to brace the valve body before adding extra force to the handle.

I usually use the circle hole on the end of either an 8 or 10 inch barco spanner.

Reply to Shutting off water supply in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock