Currently reading:
Shower pump advice please

Discuss Shower pump advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nat

Hi all,

Is it bad practice when installing a shower pump to just pump all the hot outlets in the house to save running a new supply to the shower? If so why is that? Is it an issue with noise or wear and tear on the pump?

Also can someone recommend a good quality, quiet, single impellar pump?

Many thanks,

Nat

a) Yes, it is bad practice.
b) Because most pumps rely on the water as lubrication. The normal off-take from a hot water cylinder often allows air in the water - so no lubrication.
c) Agree - Stuart Turner. I've one of their pumps still going after 25 years.

Also bad practice because running a pump unnecessarily wastes electricity and noise may be an issue as you've already speculated.

I would think the wear and tear on the pump would be tremendous. It isn't very economical and would be noisy. Much better to just pump the shower.

a) Yes, it is bad practice.
b) Because most pumps rely on the water as lubrication. The normal off-take from a hot water cylinder often allows air in the water - so no lubrication.
c) Agree - Stuart Turner. I've one of their pumps still going after 25 years.

I don't understand your point about lubrication. I would be fitting a proper flange and why would it make any difference if it was a shower or a basin at the draw off point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump advice please in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock