Discuss Should i report this to Gas Safe ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sneds

I'm new to the forum , just a quick question ! i'm gas safe registered ( gas safe No 556789 ) and i have had 3 calls this week by potential customers asking if i could carry out a gas safety test on their boiler and commission it ! i asked ' why commission' - they said they had the boiler fitted recently and it's not working, due to manufacturers fault !! i told them to get the engineer who fitted it to contact manufacturer ! they then say it was a plumber who fitted it and not gas safe registered. I told them i can't help and would not get involved in this mess - Should i report this to Gas Safe ?

Yes.
here: Report an illegal gas fitter

When you spoke to each of those customers did you point out to them that because their boilers was fitted illegally there is no valid warranty obviously they know this - if they had it fitted correctly in the first place then the repair would be done FREE by the manufacturer.

Sneds,

Can I ask a question, lets move on a few years and you are asked to go to the same boiler, the original house holder has gone, new people,
you ask for the benchmark documentation and they know nothing about it, boiler has a faulty, do you walk away now, is it the present warranty
that really doesn't exist that making you ask the question.

Even if you did report it, what would GSR do, what can they do, who can they do, I think you will find no one and nothing is the answer, the boiler manufacturer
just won't get the Benchmark back and there won't be any warranty, wonder what the manufactured would do if they were called to it, would they refuse to attend
with the excuse they have not got the Benchmark back.

This is an interesting one that some of you must have had before and know what the answers are and the process to go through.

When you says its a mess, do you mean the situation or the installation,the installation could be pristine, just not got the paperwork.

If the 3 installations aren't reported it leaves 3 boilers in a state that may or may not be unsafe.

If all 3 are in the same area it may be the same installer and Gassafe should certainly be interested.

If all Gassafe engineers refuse to touch them then the owners may have no choice in the future but to use other non Gassafe engineers to carry out repairs.

These boilers have been installed illegally, and are not working , how can i commission a boiler thats not working ? By mess i mean having to call manufacturer explaining that i am trying to commission a new install , installed illegally by someone not gas safe registered and its not working , because of a manufacturers fault ! Roll on a few years ? if i called to property to carry out gas safety check on a boiler and the bench mark wasn't filled in properly or missing. I would check everything and give it a full service - working pressures, gas rate, analyse with flue analyser, everything would get checked, and i would guess that the warranty of the manufacturer would have run out too, so the new folks would not be to bothered about warranty issues . It's the fact that the customer wanted the manufacturer to call out and fix the boiler as it was new, they could'nt understand that they made their warranty void by using non registered plumbers, they wanted me to lie and say i fitted it basically, so i told them no , not a chance !

Daz, don't YOU know what would happen if he reported it, is this kind of thing not covered in GSR training, it must be a less than rather occurrence.
I no too well what would happen it would be interesting to find out if something did happen does that answer your question

Last edited:
These boilers have been installed illegally, and are not working , how can i commission a boiler thats not working ? By mess i mean having to call manufacturer explaining that i am trying to commission a new install , installed illegally by someone not gas safe registered and its not working , because of a manufacturers fault ! Roll on a few years ? if i called to property to carry out gas safety check on a boiler and the bench mark wasn't filled in properly or missing. I would check everything and give it a full service - working pressures, gas rate, analyse with flue analyser, everything would get checked, and i would guess that the warranty of the manufacturer would have run out too, so the new folks would not be to bothered about warranty issues . It's the fact that the customer wanted the manufacturer to call out and fix the boiler as it was new, they could'nt understand that they made their warranty void by using non registered plumbers, they wanted me to lie and say i fitted it basically, so i told them no , not a chance !

It's the fact that the customer wanted the manufacturer to call out and fix the boiler as it was new, they could'nt understand that they made their warranty void by using non registered plumbers, they wanted me to lie and say i fitted it basically, so i told them no , not a chance

Now Sneds,

You didn't says that in you original post, that's a whole different angle on it now and you would be right to walk, end of.

BTW as GSR ever brought a successful prosecution against any none GSR installing boilers, there is a cure for this but it will never happen, a boiler can only be purchased by a GSR, not by Joe Public. The same would need to happen to consumer units and light fittings and plumbers would not be able to touch wiring or the electrics inside a boiler case, it would get messy

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to the forum , just a quick question ! i'm gas safe registered ( gas safe No 556789 ) and i have had 3 calls this week by potential customers asking if i could carry out a gas safety test on their boiler and commission it ! i asked ' why commission' - they said they had the boiler fitted recently and it's not working, due to manufacturers fault !! i told them to get the engineer who fitted it to contact manufacturer ! they then say it was a plumber who fitted it and not gas safe registered. I told them i can't help and would not get involved in this mess - Should i report this to Gas Safe ?

I was a bit short of subbing work,so I put an advert in gumtree,had plenty of calls from Pakistani landlords asking the same,would rather walk the dog than get involved...

Responsible thing to do, is report it to GSR. But GSR will require certain information about the people involved and addresses , access to the properties etc, otherwise there will be little that can be done to present a case to The HSE. If a landlord is involved, then it is more likely to be pursued as it is more in the public interest.

Responsible thing to do, is report it to GSR. But GSR will require certain information about the people involved and addresses , access to the properties etc, otherwise there will be little that can be done to present a case to The HSE. If a landlord is involved, then it is more likely to be pursued as it is more in the public interest.

He will have a man knocking on the door with a Violin case and make him an offer he can't refuse!

What is the answer from the custard point of view, maybe they didn't know about all this, should they get a GSR to take the boiler out, put it back in the box, stand there and look at it for a while, take back out the box and re-fit it.

Then maybe it's not the kinda boiler that the GSR likes to fit, so it will end up on ebay or tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Should i report this to Gas Safe ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back