Discuss rules for boilers in lofts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael c

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi guys qouted for a boiler install today with desired location being in loft right infront of the hatch. I have paid for the regs but they arent working at minute can anyone tell me what the rules are around this? The loft is boarded its just the proximity to the hatch im concerned over but the only other option is a bedroom.

Thanks in advance

There is currently lighting, flooring, hand rail and ladder. Hand rail and ladder need to change orientation to allow install though

Im not covinced about the loft ladder, the way I read it there should be flooring to ensure safe access to maintain the boiler and a light. but i suppose the health and safety police frown on using a bannister and a pull up to get into the attic ;-)

As i said before it very much depends on the attitude of whoever deals with it in the future.

What about working on a CWSC. What "rules" are in place for fixing a ballcock or even jumping up to turn the water off. Gloves and goggles and disposable overalls and a map in case you get lost in fibreglass.
It is all a load of pysh!

basically its just common sense and nobody is gonna send you down if one of the above is not up to spec. i go to loads that aint done properly. so i tell the custy but nothing gets done and i dont like wasting my time so i end up doing the service anyway

BS 6798:2009
roof space installation
Point 5.3.8
among other things:
floor boarding
a fixed permanent light.
purpose design access - can be a loft ladder.

Going to make educated decision next time im back the existing ladder needs to come out but unsure if able to reorientate may just have to fit a condensate pump and place at other end of loft (not an ideal situation as entire loft boarded including roof and walls. With a large built in unit which didnt want to rip out.

I wouldnt worry about the loft ladder stick the boiler in the desired location and provide isolation on the first floor

I wouldnt worry about the loft ladder stick the boiler in the desired location and provide isolation on the first floor

Which is great until the boiler breaks down in the warranty period and the service engineer can't get in the loft to repair it. You can skimp on some things and get away with it but safe access to the boiler is one thing you won't be able to skimp on.

Ye, the regs are just common sense, but they are the regs. Light, ladder, handrail, flooring, guard around hatch. All these things are something you need to consider if you want a warranty repair, but it sounds like most of it has been done already. I had considered putting the boiler in the loft at my in-laws, but all that will need doing. The ladder might be tricky to fit too.

Going to make educated decision next time im back the existing ladder needs to come out but unsure if able to reorientate may just have to fit a condensate pump and place at other end of loft (not an ideal situation as entire loft boarded including roof and walls. With a large built in unit which didnt want to rip out.

Why do you need a condensate pump if your working in the loft, water flows downhill from experience!

It has everything already only real problem is proximity to hatch and current loft ladder is attached to wall i intended to fit boiler. Only other option is opposite wall which would require a larger gas pipe and cause problems with condensate and prv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to rules for boilers in lofts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back