Search the forum,

Discuss Boilers in loft - any issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi,

thanks in advance for any help, advice and replies.

I am going to need a new boiler in the coming months for a property to be rented hopefully, I’ve got a plumber who can offer the long extended warranties on ideal boilers, and I have asked them same question, he said about 80% of boilers he fits are in lofts so didn’t have an issue with it personally.

But while I would prefer in loft out the way. I know there is various health and safety requirements though like boarding out the area around loft hatch to boiler location, lighting, handrail, permanent loft ladder, remote isolation of gas and water from outside loft, none of which are really an issue and I don’t mind doing the work to comply with thAt.

What my query / concern was, how does being in a loft effect the reliability of the boiler and it’s lifespan? Because lofts suffer from extreme temperature fluctuation... very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer and damp air.

So I was concerned if it would effect the reliability of things like the PCB and various sensors.

And despite long warranty didn’t want them turning around voiding it at first failure because the failure was caused by its location in a loft.

And if rented certainly don’t want it to keep breaking down and causing a headache just because of where it’s installed.

Or would it be better installed in an integrated garage?

Either is ok, but if loft poses no real issues would of preferred there as it is out the way.

My late father though was against boilers in lofts though.

But any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

If you can find another location, it would be better. Especially in a rental.
One problem is that it’s at the top of the system, so will be the first thing to loose water, if there is a minor leak, or air.

fine in lofts but needs to be boarded, loft ladder, socket, a light, a frost stat, remote filling loop etc

Thanks, didn’t consider about it being first to loose water, but completely correct.

In Regards to the 45 degrees, that’s what’s I’m concerned about, very hot in summer, and very cold in winter and damp air.

I did as above ask the plumber I’m going to get to fit the boiler, and he just said 80% he fits in lofts, but wanted to come out and have a look first which is fair enough.

But when I expressed if the heat and cold and damp would effect the warranty if something like a PCB failed from overheating or condensation risk they didn’t reply.

As above wasn’t so worried about the boarding out, lighting, handrail or ladder etc. Was more boiler reliability and going wrong.

All good and well having a 12 year warranty but if it breaks after year 3 and they say pcb failed because it was installed in a loft and void rest of the warranty it’s not really helpful to anybody and causes unnecessary headache to me who will have to pay for repairs and tenant with no heating and hot water.

So wanted to make an informed decision on what’s best rather than me thinking, stick it in loft out the way to free up space elsewhere lol.

Next door neighbour has it in their airing cupboard, and current location is in the integrated garage next to incoming electricity board. But as heating system is being ripped out and changed from heat only boiler to Combi with new rads etc it can be moved to wherever is best.

It's not my first recommended location but I'd have no issues fitting one there if it's the most practical location. As above though, the additional costs of loft ladder, boarding, light etc need to be taken into account. I'm not sure if the remote filling loop Shaun mentions is a requirement or just for customer ease. I've done them when asked but not on every job.

The best thing you can do if your worried about the warranty been affected is email the manufacturer. Put it blunt and ask if there is any reason a loft installation would affect the warranty. You've got it in writing then if something does go wrong and they try using it as an excuse.

True, but property is being gutted and refurbished, getting rewired etc so the extra expense isn’t much to board out and provide ladder and lighting can be part of rewire.

It was my uncles house before he passed away, but he left in it a right state, trying to secure finance at the moment but aim is to renovate then rent hopefully.

Even if not a requirement I would go with remote gas isolation and remote isolation of water and remote filling loop so that the tenant doesn’t need to enter the loft in an emergency to isolate anything and can top it up also... although shouldn’t really need toppings up unless a leak but still I think good practice even if not required.

Worcester, vaillant, Viessmann and baxi are fine with loft install aslong as the points that I raise are fitted

The best thing you can do if your worried about the warranty been affected is email the manufacturer. Put it blunt and ask if there is any reason a loft installation would affect the warranty. You've got it in writing then if something does go wrong and they try using it as an excuse.

Good idea, I will try this, but impression I’m getting from replies so far is better to keep it in the garage: lol but I will email them.

Even if they will cover it on warranty a break down is a breakdown and hassle I would prefer to minimise the risk of from external factors such as heat, cold or condensation

It's up to you at the end of the day, the loft is fine, it's not everyone's first option but as mentioned, no reason why not. If your gutting the property though I'm sure there's plenty of other valid options other than the loft. Airing cupboard is usually a good spot as the general location of them is fairly close to the hot water outlets.

It's up to you at the end of the day, the loft is fine, it's not everyone's first option but as mentioned, no reason why not. If your gutting the property though I'm sure there's plenty of other valid options other than the loft. Airing cupboard is usually a good spot as the general location of them is fairly close to the hot water outlets.

Yep, have 3 options, garage where it is now, airing cupboard, and loft, just a case of which is best lol

With airing cupboard though isn’t that restrictive in terms of maintenance, space to work and needing to remove side panels if necessary?

Hot water outlets shouldn’t be a problem, as it’s all going and being redone.

It was installed in the late 70s, early 80s originally and it’s either sludged up or never worked very well.

At one point it was left on 24/7 and it couldn’t get the house higher than low 20s, not the house itself in terms of insulation as it has cavity insulation and loft installation that was all done when there was grants for it.

So ripping everything out and starting again, new boiler, and zone it upstairs and downstairs with new bathroom and kitchen.

But sounds like it maybe staying in garage as it doesn’t seem to be a preferable location in the loft.

I will have a think about it though, and also as suggested contact ideal and make sure they are good with it. Last thing I want is a boiler with a 12 year warranty that fails from heat / cold / condensation and they void the warranty.

Just go with the easiest location for servicing etc, but not too far from the gas meter, and no hot taps too far away. If you can avoid it, you don't want to be wasting a sink full of water before it's starts to come through hot.

Make sure you have a whole house heatloss done then size the rads off this

Just go with the easiest location for servicing etc, but not too far from the gas meter, and no hot taps too far away. If you can avoid it, you don't want to be wasting a sink full of water before it's starts to come through hot.

Easiest location for maintenance and servicing and nearest to gas meter would be the garage where it is now, is about 2m away maximum but the hot taps will be a bit of a distance. But either choice there would be compromise, but good all around access to all sides and won’t have issue with temperature and condensation.

Only reason I considered moving it was because I thought it would just get it “out the way” and if the tenant wants to put a car in the garage won’t interfere with that, although it is high up anyway.

But seems to be more negatives to moving to loft than positives lol; because straight away the temperature fluctuations from hot to cold, condensation, needing remote isolation... even just getting the boiler up there for installation through the loft hatch. So now seems less appealing and feedback I’m getting on this post is for many of you it’s not your first choice either and you fit them all the time so definitely given me some things to think about.

Make sure you have a whole house heatloss done then size the rads off this

Will look Into this,

When I changed some radiators in our own house I used online calculators which asked for all the specifics about the room, like is it above another room, or garage, window sizes, ceiling height, property insulation, room size etc

And that gave me a radiator size, some are still a little oversized due to the pipe locations, didn’t want to start redoing pipework but knocked a bit off the height of rad to get as near as possible and they seem to be heating the rooms ok, have the TRVs also.

So was going to do the same in this property also.

At one point was considering underfloor heating, but people pointed out in bedrooms you have bed and wardrobes etc covering floor so you end up heating large areas underneath furniture which seemed pointless, but may do under floor heating in the bathroom as part of the heating system rather than electric and possibly kitchen, don’t know about open plan lounge diner, probably just stick to radiators.

My pet hate boilers in lofts personally I wont fit them ever ! some companies wont let their service and breakdown engineers get up into a loft as their insurance is void, why would you put a gas fired appliance that heats your home in the coldest part of your home in the winter and the hottest in the summer it full of scalding water and if you unlucky enough to have a failure then the consequences of this could be very nasty aswell as costly , condense is always a issue as can easily freeze up even if protected , and as its fitted in the highestest part of the system then loss of water and circulation issues are a real problem , put it the the airing cupboard you know it makes sense . Kop

It may also be worth asking if manufacturer will attend service/warranty call on an appliance installed in a loft. They may have H&S requirements such as fixed lighting or no rock wool insulation exposed.

Garage is a better option for access but if you put it in airing cupboard I’d say better still. Avoids any moisture issues, likely closer to where water will be required. You’ve got the option to split garage off from tenancy and rent out or use yourself or even convert to living space if they done need access.

hi,

thanks in advance for any help, advice and replies.

I am going to need a new boiler in the coming months for a property to be rented hopefully, I’ve got a plumber who can offer the long extended warranties on ideal boilers, and I have asked them same question, he said about 80% of boilers he fits are in lofts so didn’t have an issue with it personally.

But while I would prefer in loft out the way. I know there is various health and safety requirements though like boarding out the area around loft hatch to boiler location, lighting, handrail, permanent loft ladder, remote isolation of gas and water from outside loft, none of which are really an issue and I don’t mind doing the work to comply with thAt.

What my query / concern was, how does being in a loft effect the reliability of the boiler and it’s lifespan? Because lofts suffer from extreme temperature fluctuation... very cold in the winter and very hot in the summer and damp air.

So I was concerned if it would effect the reliability of things like the PCB and various sensors.

And despite long warranty didn’t want them turning around voiding it at first failure because the failure was caused by its location in a loft.

And if rented certainly don’t want it to keep breaking down and causing a headache just because of where it’s installed.

Or would it be better installed in an integrated garage?

Either is ok, but if loft poses no real issues would of preferred there as it is out the way.

My late father though was against boilers in lofts though.

But any opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Uck, boilers in the loft. the loft will need boarding out for annual service, if its a combi you will have to go up,there to re pressurise it, and clean out the filter, means running gas upstairs so many reasons why not...AND devices that need servicing do not get serviced when they are easy to get to let
alone up in your loft. Then there is the pressure and flow problems...and ...and garages are not usually insulated so in cold
spells you will be running the boiler to look after itself. NEVER ever put any boiler in a bedroom, noisy dangerous and plain stupid
centralheatking

So airing cupboard looks to be best place in place
of current hot water tank.

Won’t confined space be an issue if side panels
Etc need removing?

84.6cm wide it is.

Plenty of room there, many are serviced/maintained from through front panel these days anyway, well the ones I mainly fit are. Vaillant Baxi Ideal

Will fit in there nicely I would say these were in cupboards as you can see . Kop

20170503_103622.jpg

20151128_111038.jpg

Reply to Boilers in loft - any issues? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock