Currently reading:
Replacing Back Boiler

Discuss Replacing Back Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

batfinki

Hi all

I wondered if someone could give me a bit of advice.

I have a Back Boiler that has been condemned as it is leaking fumes which aren't all being expelled up the flue and so need to replace it with a Combi boiler. The Back Boiler is of course located behind the fireplace in the living room.

The property is a 3 bedroom semi with no more than 6 radiators and a towel rail.

Directly above the fireplace is the 2nd bedroom with the water tank in a large airing cupboard. I'd expect the water tank to be taken out and the new Combi boiler to go in there. The gas feed will need to be extended from the back boiler straight up into the cupboard above.

As I understand it with current regulations the radiators will need to have thermostatic valves fitted and the rooms need thermostats too. I presume the radiators don't need to be replaced.

I believe the loft tanks and the hot water tank will need to be disposed of. The Back boiler too. In the short term I intend on leaving the fire in place just for show.

I'm thinking of a Baxi Duo-tec Combi HE A as it has a 7 year warranty and appears reasonable value around £800.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much would be a decent quote for this job? I don't know a lot about the subject so I've pieced together research, plumber's advice and general heresay so please feel free to correct anything I've said.

Thanks very much

Steven

I really appreciate all the advice from you all. Estimate Number 2 has come in...

It's a bit cheaper, but the boiler is a cheaper one. Any opinions on whether the Ideal is decent enough? Looking at prices online, I reckon this boiler is around £200 cheaper than the Baxi in the other quote. At the moment I'm considering whether to take the 2nd quote but ask for a better boiler.
==============================================

Disconnect and Remove existing Back Boiler, Hot Water Cylinders & Tanks.
Supply and Fit New Ideal I-Mini 30 (2 year warranty) Combi Condensing Boiler with Time Clock, Vertical Roof Flue and Filling Loop.
Boiler to be located in the Airing Cupboard.
Supply and Fit Digital Room Thermostat.
Supply and Install Fernox Inhibitor to the System.
Commission, Test and Register new Appliance all to Current Gas Safety Regulations.

£2,200

i would stick with other quote looks a bit smash and grab this quote

you get what you pay for the baxi is a good well established boiler .if fitting an ideal it would be a logic as they have the 5 year warranty . main eco not a bad boiler and warranty can be extended to 5 year for £99

At least quote 1 is attempting to give the existing system a clean through.
Only way to restore efficiency is power flush though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacing Back Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock