Search the forum,

Discuss Replacement boiler quote seems excessive - is it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just had a quote to replace a boiler and some parts of it make no sense at all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Basically the items and charges are as follows:
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250

Location is North London. House is two stories & loft conversion with five bedrooms, bathroom, shower room, one very large reception room, large kitchen/dining room and 17 radiators in total.

Very many thanks for any advice.

I have just had a quote to replace a boiler and some parts of it make no sense at all, I wonder if anyone can offer advice. Basically the items and charges are as follows:
Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250

Location is North London. House is two stories & loft conversion with five bedrooms, bathroom, shower room, one very large reception room, large kitchen/dining room and 17 radiators in total.

Very many thanks for any advice.

was that British gas by any chance?

I'd say it's steep! Shop around and get local tradesman to quote for you. Go on the gas safe website and look for local installers.

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Many thanks for the replies. It was British Gas and the quote does include VAT.

Having had a recent nightmare with an independent who did a fair amount of work refurbishing a bathroom (long story, some other time perhaps) I am somewhat reluctant to use an installer about whom I know nothing and against whom I have no realistic comeback.

All of the installation work seems outrageously expensive - e.g. Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below at £120, Install standard flue with black plume kit (£80?) at £320 let alone nearly £1,600 for what is unlikely to be more than a maximum of one days work for two people.

• My current boiler is plugged into a 13 Amp socket - do I really need a switched FCU? What legislation covers this?
  • Do I really need a "Powerflush and system water treatment" at £570? I have got by perfectly well on rust inhibitor for years.
  • Is the "MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter" at £250 just some hocus pocus?

also depending on size boiler sounds on the small size

also depending on size boiler sounds on the small size
I can't comment on that other than to say that the guy who came around spent quite some time measuring up the sizes of the rooms and quizzing me about cavity walls, double glazing, etc.

In fairness, most of the radiators in the house are usually set to the frost setting because many of the rooms are unused -and- we are happy to wear sweaters if we get cold ;)

I do realise that anyone else who eventually bought the house might like to walk around semi-nude in a sauna!

funny but BG prices round here have become competitive recently

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070 (good price)
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585 (bit high)
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320 (way to high)
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120 (way to high should be around £50-60)
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195 (way to high £30-£40)
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570 (if they do a days work thats not bad)
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250 (good price)

what about pump motorized valves non of them getting change?

Is there not an installer on here near north London who could provide a quote?

Stan would be on it like a bunny on heat but sadly haven`t seen him post for an age. There are others around that area but I`m getting the feeling that the OP has been "Let down" by an indie before and believes in the BG hype. Saying that he could do well to try and understand the behind the scene costs involved in running a business.

Vaillant ecoTEC plus 430 ErP - £1,070 (good price)
Installation of boiler and associated work - £1,585 (bit high)
Install standard flue with black plume kit - £320 (way to high)
Connect up boiler condenser waste pipe to washing machine waste pipe 2 metres directly below - £120 (way to high should be around £50-60)
Connect & test a switched fused connection unit £195 (way to high £30-£40)
Powerflush and system water treatment - £570 (if they do a days work thats not bad)
Supply and fit MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter - £250 (good price)

what about pump motorized valves non of them getting change?

£30-£40 maybe if just replacing socket for a spur but could need bonding to gas and water etc

No mention of the pump or the motorised valves - would replacing them at the same time make sense?

do you know how old they are?

£30-£40 maybe if just replacing socket for a spur but could need bonding to gas and water etc

all they test for is are they the right way round and earth if its needs bonding would be listed and separate item

Nah, I got all the jabs and visas and everyfink boss! I can go Norf, Sarf, not West tho. That's Stan's turf... :D

Glad to hear your fully covered Mas, thought Stan was North, did he move?

Glad to hear your fully covered Mas, thought Stan was North, did he move?

He moved so far north he wasn't even in London any more! Near Northampton somewhere, I think. But when he was here I thought he was in Harrow kind of area, which I always think of as west.

He moved so far north he wasn't even in London any more! Near Northampton somewhere, I think. But when he was here I thought he was in Harrow kind of area, which I always think of as west.

Agree Harrow more West than North, thought he moved back though within a year.

Agree Harrow more West than North, thought he moved back though within a year.

Wouldn't surprise me, business was dead for him up there, he was commuting to London! He unfriended pretty much everyone on fb and dropped off here so I haven't heard anything from him at all..

<SNIP>
Saying that he could do well to try and understand the behind the scene costs involved in running a business.
Trust me, I am very well aware of the "behind the scenes costs involved in running a business". However, let's not digress.

The pump is fairly recent but I can see the argument for replacing the motorised valves - good point.

Can anyone comment on whether there is truly any benefit in the Powerflush and the MagnaClean Professional MC22002 Magnetic Filter? They both sound unnecessary to me. I have had the system drained from time to time - e.g. to fit new or additional radiators, to fit TRVs and when I had work done on the bathroom and when refilling the system I have had rust inhibitor added but I have never had the system Powerflushed and I don't have any sort of Magnetic Filter and don't seem to have suffered for it.

Once again, thanks for the feedback.

The mag filter is yes but your choice on the power flush

The mag filter is yes but your choice on the power flush
Politely - why?

Added to which, is there any preference for the MagnaClean Professional Magnetic Filter -or- the BoilerMag Domestic Heating System Filter? I can't find many reviews on either although I did read somewhere that the MagnaClean has (or used to have) a plastic body which gave problems.

I get the feeling that Magnetic Filters are primarily intended to remove metal debris from a system - why would this still be in place on an established system?

Last edited:
Politely - why?

Added to which, is there any preference for the MagnaClean Professional Magnetic Filter -or- the BoilerMag Domestic Heating System Filter? I can't find many reviews on either although I did read somewhere that the MagnaClean has (or used to have) a plastic body which gave problems.

I get the feeling that Magnetic Filters are primarily intended to remove metal debris from a system - why would this still be in place on an established system?

Adey all the way and they had problems on the old model where it connected to the pipes

And new boilers have small water ways that can get blocked very easy

I also would vouch for Magnaclean regarding a power flush if your system is dirty when a new boiler goes on it then any warranty will be null and void Think you'll find that most manufacturers would also be asking for a filter to be fitted to maintain warranty also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Replacement boiler quote seems excessive - is it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock