Search the forum,

Discuss Remove radiator from wall? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I need to remove a radiator to take tiles off behind it & then re-board, plaster & paint the wall. It has a drain valve, would it be ok to empty the radiator through that? The radiator will be taken off for about a week so after taking it off would it be ok to cap the thermostatic valve & still use the heating for other rads in the house? I have a combi boiler.
039691C4-11A5-4985-AAC3-E91154336DD9.jpeg
917E82DC-B195-48CD-A05F-0928B06A2434.jpeg

No, drain valve will empty system.
Close both valves, tub underneath trv, undo trv from rad and stick on compression cap end. Cap trv to prevent accidental release of water.
Tub under other end, undo valve from rad, stick on old valve onto rad and lift off rad full.

Reverse when you put it back on, won't take much to top up system and don't lose inhibitor.

If you shut both valve you can drain from the drain off

So that won't drain the whole system as Simon has said above?

No aslong as you shut both valves

Open the drain off with a container under it, should stop after a min and open the bleed screw / air vent on the rad and it will drain the rad

No aslong as you shut both valves

Open the drain off with a container under it, should stop after a min and open the bleed screw / air vent on the rad and it will drain the rad
On the TRV valve I have is it the big nut am I undoing or do I have to undo any of the others towards the left to the radiator? Also which cap & size do I need after I the rad is off & do I cap both sides or just the TRV?

On the TRV valve I have is it the big nut am I undoing or do I have to undo any of the others towards the left to the radiator? Also which cap & size do I need after I the rad is off & do I cap both sides or just the TRV?

You need to undo the nut onto the rad eg the nut on the left of the trv

And the big nut on the lockshield valve

Is this the nut to undo on the TRV? Which caps & size do I need to put on after & do I cap both the TRV & lockshield or just the TRV?
View attachment 82736

No the one to the right of that and 1/2 for the trv and 3/4 for the lockshield

These

Attachments

• E086576C-36BC-40F6-9781-8D8807F1155E.jpeg
    E086576C-36BC-40F6-9781-8D8807F1155E.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 12

Reply to Remove radiator from wall? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock