Search the forum,

Discuss recommended pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil T

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Been to see a customer and top floor rads are struggling to heat properly. I've balanced and bled the system and improved it slightly.
The house is 3 storey with 10 rads and run on a greenstar high flow 440 cdi boiler. There are 2 vertical rads on system with one of them on very top floor which is really struggling. I bled it for about 30 mins to get the cold and air out of it and managed to get it to warm slightly but there was no flow from the return valve, which leads me to think there isn't enough pressure to make it work properly. Middle floor rads are working OK but not brilliant and ground floor are working well.
There are 10 rads altogether and they want an extra one installing in a room on top floor also.
They want me to replace 6 of the rads as they are probably 20 to 30 years old and not very efficient. The rads are all run on 10mm pipe too.
Can anyone recommend a suitable ch pump to put on the system to help the top floor rads? They have given me option to replace the vertical rads but if I can save them money with just the pump then I'd prefer to do it that way.
Cheers

Sounds like could do with some cleaner in the system

open vented or sealed

Its a sealed system. I did mention to them that there could be a sludge build up due to age of rads but they want them replacing. I may recommend adding an inline cleaner to system such as a fernox f1 when i do the install. Regarding the top floor rads, a pump would help wouldnt it?

Yes worth a try depends how old the existing pump is

Boiler is sited in the basement and i havent seen a pump in that room

Boiler is sited in the basement and i havent seen a pump in that room

Should be where the cylinder is it not by boiler

I have cured a lot of similar systems by fitting a 6metre pump.
Microbore pipe really needs the stronger pump, as does 3 floor buildings.
I am careful to check for any easy bypass routes and balance them well down - like on a coil at a cylinder.

Have you tried increasing the system pressure?
Bump it up to close on 2 bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to recommended pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your help please. I've extended an existing 'run' of radiators - the last one on the run ( in downstairs kitchen) is cold. The first rad added is...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have just had my central heating system "upgraded" for a four bed-roomed detached house. The heating company recommended going from the open vented system to sealed / pressurized system, new pump ( UPS3 Grundfos ) all new plastic pipework ( extending ) the 22mm feed and return pipes so no...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock