Search the forum,

Discuss Reason for usual HW shutoff valve location in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

In a conventional system, the standard arrangement is to have a gate valve on the (typically 28mm) cold feed pipe from cistern to cylinder.
Out of curiosity, I was wondering why you won't find it on the hw pipe (typically 22mm) going out of the cylinder instead.
Of course, positioned after the vent tee.

Since the valve would have a smaller diameter, it would be cheaper.

So why? Maybe because it would need to withstand possibly higher temperatures?

It's just an academic question, but I'm curious :)

Last edited:
Simple really if you need to work on cylinder maybe change a immersion heater valve on cold feed is way to go.
Also if cylinder had 28mm cold feed your would normally see 28mm hot out , we have for some time used lever valves on cold feeds gate valves a pain!

Simple really if you need to work on cylinder maybe change a immersion heater valve on cold feed is way to go.
Also if cylinder had 28mm cold feed your would normally see 28mm hot out , we have for some time used lever valves on cold feeds gate valves a pain!

I see, thanks. I am not a pro, just seen a couple of systems with 28mm in and 22mm out and assumed that was the norm.
Totally relate to the gate valve cry: sadly they are still there in older systems, waiting to be replaced by ball valves when they get stuck.
Actually, one reason for asking is that on my own system I do have a cold feed gate valve stuck, and it would be easier to add a 22mm valve on the out, rather than to bother touching the stuck one.

Would you think that sounds reasonable, @exedon2 ?

Last edited:
Ah yes, I missed that.

The valve, beit gate or lever is installed on the feed to the cylinder for safety reasons as we mentioned above but also so you only have to drain the cylinder and a small volume of water between the feed and cylinder when you have to drain the cylinder.
You could put a valve where you mention to isolate hot but if you needed to drain the cylinder you would also have to drain the entire header tank. In most common domestic properties thats only a small volume but in older and larger dwellings you could have much larger header tanks or even a few linked together.

Last edited:

Reply to Reason for usual HW shutoff valve location in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock