Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Radiator TRVs and Bleed Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lew

Hello all,

Firstly let me apologise, I'm sure my questions below have been asked time and time again.
I understand the old type TRVs (uni-directional) had to be installed on the flow side of the radiator only, however the newer TRVs (bi-directional) can be installed on either the flow or return side. With this in mind, should the bi-directional TRVs be installed the same way round on every radiator i.e. either all on the flow or all on the return? Am I correct to think that by installing some on the flow and some on the return that the system will not balance correctly?
Bleed valves, where should these be fitted? The same side as the a) incoming flow, b) diagonally opposite the incoming flow, c) it doesn't matter or d) something else?
I've been advised that it is good practice to hang radiators slightly off level to allow any air to move towards the bleed valve, this makes sense but is it correct?
Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Sorry if text is large it won't change :eek:|
Regards,
Lewis

Hi..bi-directional valves can be fitted on either the flow or return & I wouldn't worry about putting them all on the same pipe ,i.e. all on the flow or all on the return ,they will work regardless of this.
We go into a lot of older properties and balance the systems and I'm sure the valves are not always on the same pipes.
And as for the Rads I would always hang them level ( or try too) you can get all of the air out if they are level.
& air vents also work on either side

I will always hang radiators level unless there is a windowsill etc. above them that makes them look wrong. In that case I will hang them parallel with the sill and make sure that the air vent is at the higher end.

It's best to still fit them on the flow if you can. If you fit a decent trv it will work fine on the return though. Buy a decent brand and not the cheapest they do as these can give you problems.
Radiator being level a must, can't stand things not level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator TRVs and Bleed Valves in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock