Discuss Query: push-fit converted to solvent? Liquid soap degrading push-fit seals? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done most of my plumbing in the USA, so bear with me.
I noticed, on another post, a claim that an in-situ, push-fit, soil pipe hub could be cleaned up to accept a solvent weld fit. Perhaps this is common practice here?
A further claim was made that liquid soap or swarfega would, in time, degrade/harden a push-fit seal. Could be.

Comments please, educate me.

there will be a fitting that will fit the push fit then you can add solvent weld pipe

soaps or 'fairy liquid' types will stick the seal to the pipe once dried and they will never come undone
dont know about degrading/hardening, silicone spray is the recommemnded method

thanks for your reply, from what i understood, there was no transition/adapter fitting, it was push-fit pipe to push-fit hub. Maybe i misunderstood.

Liquid soaps are usually petroleum based. So are the seals in soil pipework. Because if it's chemical makeup. It will degrade the seal

This is also why we are not allowed to use fairy liquid as Ldf. Due to the corrosive nature and the use of rubber seals

normally the dried poo will create a seal, untill you disturb the fitting the it leaks and hits the fan as they say.

Thank you guys for replying ref. the liquid soap. However, i'm still curious about how one would adapt a push-fit socket and pipe with solvent.

Use a McAlpine multifit straight with a short piece of solvent weld pipe, then connect onto that with solvent weld bends etc. There is also a Floplast pushfit to multifit connector that fits in a straight if you want to go down that route.

Never had a problem with push fit seals and there are many thousands of homes still having the original Bartol push fit fittings over 30 years old and still going strong. But if you need a lubricant for pushfit, Floplast do a tub of it and it looks a wee bit like blue hair gel, but its good stuff and guaranteed by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Query: push-fit converted to solvent? Liquid soap degrading push-fit seals? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock