Search the forum,

Discuss PTFE tape & raidiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumbinguser

Hi

I have looked on the forum and the internet (including vidoes) but I am confused.

They say to start at the open end going clokwise around the thread (or it will undo as screwed in) for approx 10 turns but do not overlap.

If the thread is longer than the tape width do I simply run the tape from the bottom to top and back to bottom again (then to top etc) for ten turns or do I stay at the start and use 10 turns, then move next to it and and do 10 turns there?

Please help

10 turns around the end that goes into the radiator threads. Having PTFE showing without it doing anything would seem a waste of tape.

The idea is to make up the gap between the threads of the radiator and the threads of the valve tail.

To tighten the th tail you turn it clockwise into the rad. So you wrap the tape the opposite way i.e anti clockwise. So that the loose end is pointed away from the direction you are turning. The idea being, that the loose end will not get caught in the threads of the rads.

Thank you for the reply, one query regarding direction if I may. When looking from the end where the hole is, would the tape not have to go clockwise (as from that end the thread would be anticlockwise?

Thank you for the reply, one query regarding direction if I may. When looking from the end where the hole is, would the tape not have to go clockwise (as from that end the thread would be anticlockwise?

You make this which is second nature sound so hard. If you get it wrong do it the other way, the difference in practice is chalk and cheese. Once you know the way memorise it.

I teach my apprentices to hold valve in left hand in orientation as if rad was to the right of them. Wind tape clockwise over the barrel. It's easier shown than spoken about.

But whatever, if you just go and do it you will learn 10 times as much in a way which will stick in your minds.

Just remember the end of the tape goes with the rotation rather than against it.
Also some tails have a rubber/washer. If thats the case make sure its not covered in ptfe, keep the tape on the thread only.

Can also put some lsx on it just to be sure ......clockwise or anti clockwise ;)

Thank you all for you replies.

I feel a bit more confident now (rather check upfront) but I guess when I actually do it I will find out when there is no leak :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to PTFE tape & raidiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock