Search the forum,

Discuss Professional opinion on this pipe work please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I would really appreciate some professional opinions on attached photo. We had an extension built a couple of years ago and a new
bathroom installed on first floor (directly above pipe work in photo) About 9 months ago noticed chipboard flooring around area of this pipe work was sinking and there is movement. Removed plasterboard wall to investigate and It’s obvious pipe had been leaking for some considerable time as black mould behind skirting as well as chipboard damage. The contractor has connected the new pipe work to old cast iron pipe. Is this normal practice?

Attachments

• 757C0472-619F-4FD9-993B-2A73589AD0F7.jpeg
    757C0472-619F-4FD9-993B-2A73589AD0F7.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 35
Yes often you would connect onto existing cast iron , but never using that method- what an abomination.
Hi Ben, thanks for your response. Since I know nothing about plumbing could you elaborate on abomination please. I think just looking at it I know that it’s a mess but don’t technically know why…if you know what I mean?

Abomination as I find it loathsome that this standard of work is being done. In short it looks awful and leaks so isn’t fit for purpose.

What’s the purpose of this, compensation?

It just needs ripping out and redoing.

Either take the old cast iron out or use a Mcalpine finned drain connector DC1, this pushes inside the cast iron and then you can just work in plastic 110 from there upwards.

I’d use a timesaver coupling. Or when connecting to a horizontal cast socket, burn the lead out, remove stub and cement in the plastic.

Hi Ben, thanks for your response. Since I know nothing about plumbing could you elaborate on abomination please. I think just looking at it I know that it’s a mess but don’t technically know why…if you know what I mean?
The contractor is claiming this is ‘normal practice’ and there’s nothing wrong with the method they have used. As I said even an unpracticed eye like myself can see it’s an abomination so just needed a professional to confirm this. It’s ok I won’t quote you, just needed confirmation of what we were thinking ourselves. Thank you again, it’s good to know there are still proper tradesmen, seems like there are far to many cowboys out there.

The only reason that would be acceptable, would be for a temporary connection.

If that is the standard that the contractor works to, get someone else in and have them do a decent connection.

As for damage, contact your home insurer and get them to asses the damage and they will get the contractors insurance to pay for repairs.

Woeful: is an understatement!

Reply to Professional opinion on this pipe work please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock