Search the forum,

Discuss Price comparison on installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

efficient

Hi, Ive been installing boilers for about a year now and would like to know what others charge for installations. Sometimes i think my estimates are too high, then when i get a job i wonder if my estimate is too low. What would you guys charge, labour only for:

Straight swap combi for combi?
Regular boiler, cylinder, f&e tanks removal and convert to combi boiler?
Regular boiler for regular boiler?
Back boiler, cylinder, f&e tank removal and convert to combi boiler?
full system say 7 rads

Any advice would be appreciated
cheers

your going to struggle to get people to display on prices here as you do not have all the variables covered

Like VAT reg or not
Self employed or running a group of plumbers
Where baouts in the UK
Why dont you try to get access to the Plumbers Arms forum where pricing can be discussed

If you're getting some jobs and losing on others then you could argue you're charging the average. If you're not busy enough and want more work you have to charge less. If you want to work less and earn the same you have to charge more. Basic economics.

To me there's a danger of charging too much and that is you have to be really good and no excuses for leaks, poor design, etc.

I prefer to be busy and give people value for money (not cheap, just inexpensive). The sooner someone mentions price to me the higher my price goes. Ironically, if my customers don't mention price and I like them, I often find that I'm working extra hours or to a better quality of work for my normal day rate. I'm pleased because I've got my normal day rate (give or take) and they're pleased because I've done things like hiding pipes they didn't think could be hidden, put the furniture back as I found it, cleaned up after myself, etc. When I'm pressured on price I often leave these details alone.

Thanks for the reply.. I won't clean up next time I think I've under charged :)

Talking of hiding pipes that customers thought couldn't be hidden.. How do you go about that?

Easy example is in the kitchen. Frequently pipes are in the cupboards but if a new kitchen is fitted it's quite easy to install them behind the units. With some radiators (especially upstairs) instead of having pipes running around the skirting boards you can lift the floor and run them underneath so they pop up in the right place.

If all radiator pipes are hidden apart from one room, it can be worth chasing the wall so they're not seen until they pop out at the bottom (or, even better) directly behind the middle of the radiator.

10mm pipes can be put in trunking which minimises the eyesore.

Thanks for the reply.. I won't clean up next time I think I've under charged :)

would ALWAYS tidy up after yourself because that is all people remember, if you do a good job and leave a mess then the customer will just remember you as a messy b***ard :p

would be an interesting topic i believe but should be in the plumbers arms :p

Last edited by a moderator:
if in kitchen and pipe work is exposed take time on soldering ( no snot ) i been using EF for years now and got them spot on and cheaper to after your done a good clean with wire wool and customer will be glad to have pipes on display

being contracted for scottish gas H&S we are second to none and have our own happy henry hoover for when we done house is left mint take pride guys customers love that we are so so busy because we make customers comfortable in our company and always get offered a cuppa SWEET!

chasing walls can add a lot of time onto the job especially when your crap at plastering...

would ALWAYS tidy up after yourself because that is all people remember, if you do a good job and leave a mess then the customer will just remember you as a messy b***ard :p

would be an interesting topic i believe but should be in the plumbers arms :p

just to add

before you start work dust sheeds down every where ,and always make sure you use clean ones !!!

What percentage of jobs that you price do you get? If it's a good ratio and you're earning enough money then your prices must be in the right area. If you're not busy there's more pressure to try and get jobs,that's when you're likely to drop in price. Can you talk to any plumbers to get an idea?

I could give you an idea of what I'd charge for those jobs but as others have said I think that's a discussion for the Arms:)

Edit: I just re-read the previous replies and realised dontknowitall already made the same points that I did,doh!

Last edited by a moderator:
being contracted for scottish gas H&S we are second to none and have our own happy henry hoover for when we done house is left mint take pride guys customers love that we are so so busy because we make customers comfortable in our company and always get offered a cuppa SWEET!

Usually, but not always, when I repair a WC I pop my tools back in the van and return with my cleaning kit and clean the whole WC, concentrating on the areas behind the pan, all round the pan connector, the outsides and around the hinges of the seat.

Then polish the handle, flush the kitchen roll down the pan and squirt of Tesco's best around the rim.

It certainly raises a few eyebrows but the customers are really grateful and I bet a few of them are embarrassed as to how dirty it had got.

I also do this type of thing when replacing taps; ie a really good clean round the basin or sink and final polish of the tap.

Granted it's a little over the top doing this type of thing but I've had the odd recommendation for my troubles.

dontknowitall I am speechless ........
what do you do on a boiler change ?
Give us a tip ,pls :)

Usually too whacked out by the end so I give the customer my dustpan and brush while I'm putting my tools away.

;)

Usually, but not always, when I repair a WC I pop my tools back in the van and return with my cleaning kit and clean the whole WC, concentrating on the areas behind the pan, all round the pan connector, the outsides and around the hinges of the seat.

Then polish the handle, flush the kitchen roll down the pan and squirt of Tesco's best around the rim.

It certainly raises a few eyebrows but the customers are really grateful and I bet a few of them are embarrassed as to how dirty it had got.

I also do this type of thing when replacing taps; ie a really good clean round the basin or sink and final polish of the tap.

Granted it's a little over the top doing this type of thing but I've had the odd recommendation for my troubles.
my toilet is fine no leaks etc I just wondered if I could get a quote to come round and clean my bathroom for me:D:D:D:Dregards turnpin

Ha ha ha ,,,, next time I will try that ! The other night had to wet and dry by hand the floor , other customers are always happy when I do it , this one did not even say a word .
Or might be cos I did not polish the Worcester case at the end :)))))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Price comparison on installations in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock