Discuss Pressure tester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

markadams

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I recently purchased a pressure tester from Williams (Ray), looks a nice little unit. I was not at a stage with any of my jobs to try it out but a friend was so he borrowed it to test a CH system he had just installed. I gave him a quick overview of how to operate it but he must have forgotten some critical information.

He has just come back and told me that he tested the system to the pressure of the PRV (3 bar) and the system had no leaks. Well after speaking to him a little further it turns out that he pressurised it to 3 MPa (30 bar).

Despite him having no leaks of the system at this pressure do you think this will cause any future problems?, I am surprised the push fit stop ends he used withstood this pressure.

Last edited:
I tried it on a short bit of pipe just before sending this message as I was curious, it only takes a 7 strokes of the handle.

I have not used the tester myself yet but looking at the gauge it will go upto 70 bar, that seems crazy.

Surprised pipes didn't split. Cant have been good for the fittings.

At least I guess he knows that the pipework will take anything the boiler can throw at it. LOL.

I have seen Polyplumb pumped up to the point where the pipe started to deform, but the fittings didn't blow off.

Hi Ray,

Just thought I would do some testing of my own, I just pressurised a pipe with a solder joint and push fit stop end. I increased the pressure to 45 bar for an hour, just checked it and other than a slight drip from the stop end, everything looks fine.

Hi Ray,

Just thought I would do some testing of my own, I just pressurised a pipe with a solder joint and push fit stop end. I increased the pressure to 45 bar for an hour, just checked it and other than a slight drip from the stop end, everything looks fine.

Thats serious pressure for domestic plumbing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pressure tester in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Hi all not a plumber but am an engineer I have pressure drop in the system Worcester Bosch came back after repressureising the expansion vessel...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, we have a back combi heater. Whenever the heating comes on it seems to lose pressure within a few hours and I have to refill each morning...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, I am experiencing a pressure issue with my heating system and was hoping to receive additional insight as to what the problem...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock