Discuss Poor heat output from radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for some advice of the possible reason for why my central heating rads don't really seem to get hot. I've a theory but I'd like someone more knowledgeable to comment.

We have a Vailant Ecomax 625E boiler, the system is quite large: 22 radiators (some doubles) split 11 ground floor, 11 first floor. It was installed about 11 years ago by a professional heating company.

The symptoms are as follows, while the flow pipe for the rads gets very hot the return is barely lukewarm. I've attempted to balance the radiators (12C difference between flow and return) but it became impossible after the first half dozen as the difference was always higher. In fact the radiators at the far end of the circuit have their LSV and thermostatic valve fully open and they're only lukewarm when the system has been on all day.

The boiler has a modulating pump, I've tried adjusting the output but it didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.

The hot water is heated without any issue.

My suspicions are that the water is preferring to circulate around the hot water circuit rather than the rads. In the airing cupboard there is a bypass pipe before the servo with a pressure relief valve. The body of this value is constantly very hot, even when both the hot water and central heating servos are open. I've tried adjusting the valve, it has numbers from 1 to 6, but that makes no difference.

I'd order and replace this valve but as they're 50 quid I want to know that I'm on the right track first. I'm happy to pay for a professional to fix this but I have problems finding someone reliable and that actually answers their phone to make an appointment.

This has been rather a long first post, thanks for reading this far.

Simon

I'd advise you to get a heating engineer in.
The pump is in the boiler so you should be Gas Safe registered to work on it ( gas appliance)
The cylinder is unvented ( you mentioned pressure relief valve), and needs an engineer qualified for the G3 regulation.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

As far as your issue goes, it could be a number of things

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads
Port valve passing on hot water

Any chance of a few pics of the bypass valve ?

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads

I tried to link to the bypass valve but the site won't let me. It appears to be "RS Pro Pressure Relief Valve, 3/4in, 3bar" part number 246-3289 according to the RS web page.

A week or so ago I shut down the thermostatic valves on 6-8 of the rads and the ones are the end of the circuit got nicely hot.

Could be a few things

Sludge in the rads

20170121_131527.jpg

I tried to link to the bypass valve but the site won't let me. It appears to be "RS Pro Pressure Relief Valve, 3/4in, 3bar" part number 246-3289 according to the RS web page.

A week or so ago I shut down the thermostatic valves on 6-8 of the rads and the ones are the end of the circuit got nicely hot.

Last edited:
Bypass valve

But could be pump/balancing issue as well depending on age could be warn best get a gas safe engy to have a look

Thanks, I'll keep trying to locate a engineer, the boiler needs an annual service.

Out of interest, it is usual for these valves to fail? The one on the hot water tank had to be replaced a couple of years ago.

Bypass valve

But could be pump/balancing issue as well depending on age could be warn best get a gas safe engy to have a look

Thanks, I'll keep trying to locate a engineer, the boiler needs an annual service.

Out of interest, it is usual for these valves to fail? The one on the hot water tank had to be replaced a couple of years ago.

everything fails when its not looked after and serviced

Has it ever worked properly ? could be undersized pump or Kw output of boiler 22rads and a cylinder bit small i would say

may i ask whats with the cloth around the immersion heater?

Has it ever worked properly ? could be undersized pump or Kw output of boiler 22rads and a cylinder bit small i would say

No, they've really never been great. The boiler is rated are 35kW. I'm not sure what specifications are relevant regards the pump, there's a graph which shows up to 1900 l/h.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Poor heat output from radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock