Currently reading:
Please help - shower problem...

Discuss Please help - shower problem... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bizzybee

Cold water tank "infill valve" replaced - now shower doesn't work...

Hi, I'm new here and pretty dim, so please forgive any stupid questions.....

Our cold water tank in the loft has been overflowing and tinkering with the ball valve (I think this is the correct term?) wasn't working so we called a plumber.....

He came yesterday, looked in the loft, went to get a part from his van, turned off the main stop cock and "replaced the infill valve" because it had become "gunged up"...... He turned on the water when he had finished and bade us a cheery goodbye.

Later, when I went to use our (fairly basic electric) shower (which draws cold water only (from the mains, I think) and heats it as it uses it) I got the low pressure warning/cut out and there didn't seem to be any water coming through at all...... could this be related to the infill valve replacement or is it just coincidence?

We tried turning it on about three or four times with the temperature set at its coldest (on the 'high' pressure setting and the 'low' pressure setting) but we're afraid of damaging something if we run it for too long with no pressure...

We also checked that the mains had been fully opened - it had.

Then I dug the manual out from my files...... it describes a 'commissioning procedure' to be performed post installation which requires the pressure to be set at MINIMUM..... so I have tried this, but it has made no difference.

There is a warning in the manual that says: "After any servicing of mains water supply, always ensure the unit is started on COLD to purge any air in the pipework."

The shower has something called a Pressure Relief Device; the manual says that if this is activated, we need to "...contact Customer Service for advice on replacing the PRD."

Is it likely that the PRD has activated? The manual says: "...if the PRD operates, then water will eject from the bottom of the unit" but we don't think water HAS 'ejected from the bottom of the unit'.

As things stand, we can't get more than a dribble to come out of the shower, with the 'low pressure' light coming on.

Can anybody please help me to get the shower going or do I need to call the plumber back? Or do I need to get a new shower?

Should be SO grateful for any advice......

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Cold water tank "infill valve" replaced - now shower doesn't work...

arnt most electric showers mains fed? how is your kitchen cold tap?

You are right - the shower is mains fed (or should be - I have just checked the shower manual installation instructions) and the kitchen tap is fine...

Turn shr to Max cold setting and turn it on, try and get airlock out, before turning temp up

We've tried turning it on about three or four times now with the temperature set at its coldest (on the 'high' pressure setting - should we try the 'low' pressure setting?) but we're afraid of damaging something if we run it for too long with no pressure...

also may be worth checking the plumber turned the mains all the way back on - open it right up then turn it half a turn back

Yes, the mains is fully open..... I'm worried that our failed attempts to get the shower working may have damaged it - how likely is this?

It now includes:
1. all the things we've tried to fix it
2. extracts from the manual (which advise the opposite of advice given in
response to the previous thread)....AND
3. further questions about the problem.....

Why not update the original thread? It would get very messy around here if everyone did this.

You've either got a load of crud blocking the filter or at worst the solenoid coil has failed.
The prd will only fail if the heat can was empty and the mains was turned on. In your case the heat can will be still full of water.

Why not update the original thread? It would get very messy around here if everyone did this.

Thanks - yes, I DID update the original thread and four hours later, there were no further replies - hence the new thread with a much-modified starting post.....

originally posted by dancingplumba
"Call the plumber back
smile.png
"

Righto - shall do. Given that the plumber turned off the mains supply, ought we to have asked him to check the shower was working fine before he left? Also, is there anything else which could or may be affected?

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that there's an ISO or maybe even a gate valve on the feed to the shower that has been left closed by the plumber.
Possibly in the loft if the feed to the shower comes from up there.

My guess is that there's an ISO or maybe even a gate valve on the feed to the shower that has been left closed by the plumber.
Possibly in the loft if the feed to the shower comes from up there.

Thanks - we've checked tho', and all valves seem to be open :confused5:

I had this happen to me a few years back. I turned the cold main off to change the header tank. Turned it back on when I finished and walked round and checked all outlets and found an electric shower no longer worked. Found the filter all clogged up with sealing compound. This must have lain in the pipe for years since the shower was fitted and the surge when I turned the water back on pushed it up into the filter.

Think I said to check the filter earlier on. Didn't get any feedback, and that was over 4 hours ago :)

Try taking the spray head off the hose and let the hose dangle into the tray or bath open the shower in the cold setting and see if that clears the fault best of luck regardsTurnpin:wink:

Try taking the spray head off the hose and let the hose dangle into the tray or bath open the shower in the cold setting and see if that clears the fault best of luck regardsTurnpin:wink:
Thanks Turnpin.... yes, the head has been off since we started and we've tried starting from cold and from hot, as per the 'commissioning' instructions in the manual....... sadly, still just a dribble! :thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Please help - shower problem... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back