Discuss Pipe expansion noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

Hi
Typical problem - combi boiler and pipes that make a noise when the heating is on and the pipes are expanding.

There are quite a few threads diagnosing this problem online but not too many offering a solution. I was wondering what the pros do?

There seem to be 2 ways of sorting it:

1) Get some pipe clips to hold the pipes in place. Somehting like these - http://www.pulsardirect.co.uk/uploaded/prod-images\large\200-1300.jpg

I guess though some expansion will still occur, you would have to clip the pipes down pretty damn well to stop movement.

2) Get somesort of material to pack around the pipes where they are on the joists.

The question is what sort of material would you use? Something soft but also heat resistant. Something that allows the pipes to still expand but not to run the joists.

What about that foam insulation stuff? Or hair felt - LAGGING FLAT HAIR FELT 100MMX7.3M ROLL - Onplumb Ltd

I am having my carpets re-done soon so this gives me a chance for 'full access'. I will probably find problem areas by ear, take the floor boards off and then see what is happening.

Depends where the problem is. If it's under the boards then probably needs a bit more notching out the joist. Foam lagging will work if it doesn't need notching just to bring the pipe off the wood or some other surface

Noise from expanding pipes under floor boards are generally where the joists have been cut

leave splinters of wood, which creeks against pipework. Also pipes touching. That felt will sort out that by cutting and laying

between joist and pipe. Dont bang in the nail clips to hard either. ( the clip you show in your post are for surface pipework)

You need nail on clips for under boards

Could I use foam that is cut into like a half pipe?

So I have foam between the pipe and the joist but not on the top half of the pipe where it is directly between the pipe and floorboard.

I am unsure how big the notches are as yet. This stuff will do it but it seems pretty thick

Water Regulation Pipe Insulation - Pipe Lagging & Jackets - Heating -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes

----------

Could you get away with just clipping all the pipes without any 'softening' between the pipe and joists?

I will prob do a combnation.

I wouldnt think you would get that lagging in notch. You could use Armaflex cut up.

Just clipping may do the trick, but while boards are up, and to give you piece of mind, i would

look at how rough the notches are, and use armaflex or similar. Wouldnt want to lift new carpets!!

Dont notch the joists out too much either to try and get the lagging in. You are allowed 1/8 th of the joist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pipe expansion noise in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock