Search the forum,

Discuss Old Imperial Radiator Valve Replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I've search on the internet for many hours but cannot find the solution I need.

I have got a very old radiator in my house that fell off the wall. I have managed to take it off completely but the valve that connects to the copper pipe is damaged and needs replacing. It is an old style on and the threads on it are about an inch in diameter.

I have taken out the tail pipe to the radiator using a very large allen key and the hole in the radiator is 3/4 inch. I have searched the internet for hours for a solution but cannot find a product to buy without replacing the whole radiator (but then there is the issue of imperial to metric sizes). I thought I might be able to buy a tail pipe connection that has a 3/4 thread on one side and 1/2 pipe on the other, but cannot find them. I also thought I would simply be able to buy a valve with the old connectors but I cannot seem to find one.

Can anyone help me with a solution?

Thanks

1. The thread (female) inside the radiator is almost certainly 1/2" BSP. This is the standard thread used in the vast majority of radiators of any age, with very few exceptions. The inside diameter of a 1/2" BSP thread is 19.1 mm or 3/4"
2. The part you have taken out of the radiator is called a tail. New valves come with new tails.
3. Measure the diameter of the copper pipe, accurately, approximations are not good enough. It will most likely be 15 mm. If not it will probably be old 1/2" pipe, but the half inch refers to the inside bore. The outside diameter of 1/2" pipe is a around 15.1 to 15.2 mm.
4. The connection of the valve to the radiator tail can be one of two sorts:
4a. A compression fitting. The unthreaded end of the tail is 15 mm in diameter. The nut then the olive are slipped onto this and the nut tightened.
4b. A union fitting. The tail has a large outer end which is also threaded around a dished joint. They are relatively uncommon nowadays, but can be useful if there is little play in the pipes. Little play can make it difficult to get the valve(s) over the tail(s) to do up the compression nuts.
5. Make sure you get valves with the correct type of tails.
6. The tails themselves screw into the radiator, and will need a good few wraps of PTFE tape to seal. Start with 12 wraps. If the tail screw in too easily, remove, remove the PTFE, re-wrap with 15 turns and try again. Always wrap in the direction of screwing in, otherwise the action of screwing in unravels the PTFE.

Reply to Old Imperial Radiator Valve Replacement in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
Hi Does anyone recognise the make/brand of the radiator valve. It leaks when closed and Iam hoping I can replace a seal etc?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock