Currently reading:
Oil Tank Below Boiler Level problem

Discuss Oil Tank Below Boiler Level problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thediscobison

Hi,

Recently on the advice of a plumber we moved our oil tank level from above the level of the tank, to further down our garden. We were told that it would be fine as he would use a tiger loop which would draw the oil up to the boiler no problem.

The bottom of the oil tank is around 2.5/3 metres below the level of the boiler, and a distance of approx 25m away. This is well within the specifications of the tiger loop (up to 13ft in height and at least 25m in length)

Now after much problems getting and keeping the boiler going, he is suggesting that we need to move the tank up by approx 2 or 3 feet as "our burner pump is not strong enough to draw the oil up that height." The boiler was cutting off as it was being "starved of oil"

It has been suggested to me by another plumber that we should consider a two pipe system, as he would not have considered using a tiger loop for the size of drop we have. Surely a two pipe system would still require the burner pump to be strong enough to draw the oil up the same height?

Are there any solutions which anyone would recommend to fix this? I don't want to move the oil tank (and I hope I won't need to)

Ring all you want I disagree
Boilerhouse external boiler I will still put them inside no mater what the flexi hoses rust and rot outside

Flexi hoses shouldn't be outside - you should know that as its in the OFTEC book - they are not to extend beyond the casing of the boiler. The tigerloop should be fitted with copper pipe. If you buy the tigerloop fitting kit you will get 3 no 10mm x 1/8" male compression fittings to go into the tigerloop.

If you want to carry on doing it the wrong way, that's up to you but just about everyone else on the forum is in agreement to the contrary.

Last edited:
Well I've always been contrary can't see me changing now ps I always do it my way anyway lol
I'll stick to putting it inside the boiler case

The new eco versions of the tigerloops (this isn't one) can be fitted inside.
I'd put a fiver on no bypass screw fitted.

Prime by mouth....thats a beauty.
Last time i did that is when i "primed" my car out the van:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my priming pump from Motor World (or maybe Halfords?) for about a fiver. Surely it's a basic bit of kit for an oil technician. Get your installation checked by a registered guy for safety as incorrectly fitted combustion appliances can be potentially fatal.

Thought I'd give an update on this. Basically he tested the pipe, replaced the non return valve, and I closed the valve to indicate the level of oil in the boiler.

One of these three things fixed the problem, heat has been running fine since. Hopefully it continues into the winter

Thanks all for your help, very much appreciated (he'd have had me moving the oil tank without the info I got off here)

Last question for those in the know - sections of the 10mm pipe, whether under the ground or out in air - do they need to be insulated?

You can purchase sleeved copper pipe just for the purpose. (10mm pipe sleeved with plastic to an overall diameter of around 15mm).

You can purchase sleeved copper pipe just for the purpose. (10mm pipe sleeved with plastic to an overall diameter of around 15mm).
- Yeah it is the sleeved copper pipe that he used : but bits where the sleeve has been stripped back for a joint for example - is there something to cover these (or indeed compression valves) or should I no worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Tank Below Boiler Level problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock