Discuss oil boiler locking out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

louix

Gas Engineer
I was sent to a camray 3 90/130 with a rbl 40g5x burner, customer said she had a delivery more than two weeks ago and it has started to lock out on first demand in the morning. I connected guage to pump and had good continuous pressure, drew off some oil and it was clear, checked electrode setting and spark, changed coil, photo cell and control box, she now reports that it has continued but on occasion it will fire on first demand but lock out on second demand any ideas cheers

Hope you have the oil ticket!?

Last edited:
Check blast tube / nozzle end / electrode distances.

Air settings?

Combustion analyser?

Pump (how old is it? could be wearing out and I have had this happen sometimes)

If air settings okay, then capacitor or as said, worn oil pump. Nearly a whole new burner! :smile:

Where do you get your burners from if they are that cheap? :smartass2:

If the motor turns OK but goes to lockout it's not the capacitor.

My money would be on the pump.

I would not b touching it if I didn't. I do not do oil every day so I am building my experience and knowledge slowly.

I would not b touching it if I didn't. I do not do oil every day so I am building my experience and knowledge slowly.

Expensive bill for the customer (coil, photo cell and control box) when you don't know what's wrong with it. Back to basics I'm afraid.

? Have you not bin back yet to sort it mate ? Wot reading r you getting and is all ok with the flue? How old is it?? Could all do with more info mate or to know how you have got on if sorted ??

Take a look at this.

scan0001.jpg

I got a good co2 and ratio reading, its going in to a conventional flue which I smoke tested and appeared clear, I did tell customer that as it is an intermittent fault it was going to b a bit of trial and error with regard to parts, I thought I had checked most things as I have already mentioned and covered all other things with parts fitted. its tricky because if she resets it once it runs all day. I will be going back early this week so any top tips are welcome. cheers

I do not know if motor runs before it locks out, she has it on a timer, I think my next move is to tell her to operate it manually for its first demand and monitor it, if it still locks out remove door/cover and try again the next day and see if it is an air problem?? cheers.

I got a good co2 and ratio reading, its going in to a conventional flue which I smoke tested and appeared clear, I did tell customer that as it is an intermittent fault it was going to b a bit of trial and error with regard to parts, I thought I had checked most things as I have already mentioned and covered all other things with parts fitted. its tricky because if she resets it once it runs all day. I will be going back early this week so any top tips are welcome. cheers

What I meant was have you physically looked up the flue for partial blockages?

I couldn't get back there today but she says it has started to lock out later in the day now aswell, I told her to change the programmer from timed to manual and monitor what happens when she turns it on in the morning. I also told her to remove cover to see if air problem. if no joy I will check filter and flue. cheers fellas.

I couldn't get back there today but she says it has started to lock out later in the day now aswell, I told her to change the programmer from timed to manual and monitor what happens when she turns it on in the morning. I also told her to remove cover to see if air problem. if no joy I will check filter and flue. cheers fellas.

If the flue & filters are okay I would suggest you look at the motor capacitor & the oil pump.
Capacitor can be weak & fail once in a dozen times, especially if under load with a tight spot on oil pump etc.
Riello oil pumps can be worn & jam or slip & intermittently cause lockout. Open them up carefully if you need to prove that.

first i would suspect tight spot on pump then capacitor riello pumps are famous for this intermittent failure before complete breakdown would it not be a good idea if you have to go back anyway to be there first thing in morn and observe the problem yourself gauge fitted etc

first i would suspect tight spot on pump then capacitor riello pumps are famous for this intermittent failure before complete breakdown would it not be a good idea if you have to go back anyway to be there first thing in morn and observe the problem yourself gauge fitted etc

thanks for that, it sounds distinctly possible. not so easy to get back at mo as I am currently being tasked with gas boiler installs in social housing. I will post more info when I have been back, customer is in touch and says that it has actually run for a couple of days without locking out.

Just a thought, you say you changed the photocell (hats off for carrying a spare one of those type if youre mainly gas). Anyway, did you scrub the contacts on the pcb? In a service I always whip the photocell off and wire brush the contacts on the cell and the pcb, in my experience they can get grubby and become unreliable.
Also as mentioned above, ignitor position, if its too far forward, they may not be set into their springs enough, make sure they are bedded in a little (I also wire brush the ends of those).

I assume you put the old parts back on once you found them to be ok? :)

Take the capacitor off put something metal in the hole ie screwdriver start the burner if it magnetised it works.
What was the pump pressure? Maybe low or as said worn.
Is the motor spinning freely? Maybe bearings
All easy checks and free fault finding without switching part's just to see

Take the capacitor off put something metal in the hole ie screwdriver start the burner if it magnetised it works.

You meant "solenoid" I assume? Unless you use capacitors with holes in them? :smile:

Pmsl yes solenoid
Long day today not long finished

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a one or two pipe system and is the head of oil above the level of the burner.

've this a couple of time where air was getting in at a connection or the pump and allowing the oil to slowly drain back to the tank, meaning it only locked out first call for heat, but would run all day after a couple of resets. New pump or Tigerloop!

hate to think what her parts bill will come to for all those unnecessary parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to oil boiler locking out in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back