Discuss No HW, CH works fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danimere

Hi all!

In need of some advice. Got home yesterday after a hard days graft, jumped in the shower only to find out there is no hot water left! Went to the thermostat and clicked 'water boost' The boiler didn't kick into life at all. No lights no nothing. I tried basic resets to no success. I then tried turning the CH on but the boiler still didn't spring to life! I have no power to the boiler. I traced the wiring back to the airing cupboard and checked supplies to pump and valve. Pump checked ok but no power to/from valve. I took the electrical front off (it's a Drayton Mid 3port) and found the valve was seized so assumed it had burnt the electrical piece out. This evening I replaced the valve body and electrical front but still have no hot water! The central heating now works though as long as it is turned on by itself. As soon as I turn the hot water on the boiler cuts out.

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. Hopefully ive overlooked something or I've got a bad understanding of how the system works???

Cheers

Dan

hows your electrical and plumbing knowledge ?

Thanks for the replies guys.

Simon: is there a way to test either or those?

Shaun: I'm confident in taking most things on but my plumbing knowledge is basic. With a little instruction I'll give anything a crack though.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Simon: is there a way to test either or those?

Shaun: I'm confident in taking most things on but my plumbing knowledge is basic. With a little instruction I'll give anything a crack though.

you could hurt yourself then so get a spark with heating controls knowledge or a decent heating eng out your choice

Sound advice thanks Shaun. I'm in the motor trade so I'm quite competent. But I'd never get involved with major electrical or gas issues. I was just after input to see if it was something I was able to do. If it's boiler related I'll seek and eng.

gassafe: it's a Grasslin Towerchron QE2

Are the little LEDs coming on? Some times on the similar drayton ones when they fail you can tap the programmer & it will spring into life, this often means the relays in the programmer have gone...

You could pull the cylinder stat off the cylinder & check the bi-metallic has not not stuck in the off position also, just pull it off & press in a couple times...

The programmer functions as normal, it goes through all the cycles as it should do and lights up etc

I'll isolate the stat and have a look then report back.

I'm guessing wired the new valve in correctly & fit the body the correct way :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No HW, CH works fine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock