Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss No hot water unless radiators on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chemistpm

I have a large two year old condensing boiler. There is a Drayton controller (about 4 years old) and Honeywell tank thermostat and 2 way motorised valve on cylinder heating circuit (both older).
With CH off on room thermostat, there is no hot water and boiler does not fire.
When CH is turned on with room thermostat the boiler fires and hot water also circulates through storage cylinder heating coil – and gives hot water.
Switch off CH on thermostat with hot water “on” and boiler shuts down.
System has worked correctly for last two years and just gone wrong.

How do I set about working out which component is faulty?

It sounds like a motorised valve might not be motoring across do you have 2 valves in the airing cupboard or 1 valve with 3 pipes. Photo would be good.

Same as Millsy, sounds like diverter valve is faulty, photo would be usefull !

It sounds like a motorised valve might not be motoring across do you have 2 valves in the airing cupboard or 1 valve with 3 pipes. Photo would be good.

Thanks guys
There is one 2 way motorised valve in the airing cupboard on the heating coil incoming side and there is another 2 way motorised valve in the boiler house presumably in the CH line. Two pipes run from pump with this valve in one of them. But remember that water will heat if CH is on. Two photos attached

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 24
To me it sounds as though the motor in the DHW head is not travelling far enough to call for the boiler to fire up. It needs double checking with a multimeter but thats where I would start.

Faulty valve next to hot water tank, look's quite old, so maybe better of replaceing complete valve, could be motor or valve body that is stuck, on older valves I always replace whole unit, not alot of differance in price.

To me it sounds as though the motor in the DHW head is not travelling far enough to call for the boiler to fire up. It needs double checking with a multimeter but thats where I would start.

Thanks very much

Faulty valve next to hot water tank, look's quite old, so maybe better of replaceing complete valve, could be motor or valve body that is stuck, on older valves I always replace whole unit, not alot of differance in price.

Thanks very much

Try giving the HW valve a knock with a hammer. The microswitch is either sticking or the arm is not travelling far enough to hit it. If it is sticking a hit will get it going but it will do it again so valve will need changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No hot water unless radiators on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock