Discuss No Hot Water after Heating Switch-on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

Sorry to reignite this thread. The heating system appears to at least be working ok since my last post however, one thing happened a few mornings ago that concerned me.

When the heat switched on as scheduled around 07:15 a few mornings ago, there was loud banging and knocking noises that appeared to be coming from the attic. From my bathroom I could hear the knocking noise clearly alongside a louder than usual sound of flowing water. It sounded like there was water being poured on the ceiling above me!

I checked the newly installed cylinder and noticed the gauge below the expansion vessel had dropped to zero. I turned the little tap which I believe allows water to flow into the system and switched it off again when the gauge got to around 1.5 bar. The system seems to be working ok and the gauge hasn't really dropped since this happened a few days ago. It is concerning that this happened and I'm not sure if something more serious would have happened if we weren't at home. Any ideas what may have caused this?

One final point. Should we not be getting an installation certificate of some kind? Thanks!

Not good can you get into the loft / where the noise was ?

Pressure should be a min 1 bar in the system

And yes both an unvented certificate and a building control certificate

Reactions: G M
Not good can you get into the loft / where the noise was ?

Pressure should be a min 1 bar in the system

And yes both an unvented certificate and a building control certificate

Great thanks a lot. I'll grab a ladder and stick my head up to see what's going on.

Good point about the building control certificate too. I think they will most certainly have an issue with that emergency pipe or whatever it is that will just dump water on the floor. Our plumber said that a friend of hours said he would run the pipe outside but no one mentioned this to me at the time or I would have disputed it. It still isn't done.

I have a grundfoss ups2 that occasionally decides not to run. Wakes the street up. I have one in the van but waiting on landlord to sort it.

• Funny
Thanks. I stuck my head up and thankfully no sign of any water or leaks. I just don't understand why the pressure dropped to zero and all the banging and knocking noises started. I guess there is just a lot of air in the system. Might bleed all the rads again. We've had to do that a few times already as some of them weren't heating that well. Thanks all for the fast replies!

Boiler is in garage but noise resonates through pipework and can give a false signal as to where the noise is actually coming from.

Hi folks, several months on and the heating system seems to be behaving itself now. The needle hasn't budged below 1 which is a good sign I guess. Only thing we notice now is a knocking noise coming from the pipes (I think) in the ceiling. This happens every 10-20 mins or so 24 hours a day. It's a little annoying and is less noticeable since we got the loft insulation installed. Any ideas what this might be? Thank you!

Are the said pipes in the loft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No Hot Water after Heating Switch-on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
Hello, We hade a problem with our hot water not working in one of our bathroom's (all other outlets were working) Therefore we got the...
Replies
Views
Afternoon. I have an issue with no water flow from any of the hot taps in the house, I can't seem to find a solution to the issue. System is a...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock