Search the forum,

Discuss New central heating. What to get? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfj

Hello. I am replacing my 40+ year old floor standing boiler. I want to move it to another part of the house, so will take the opportunity to replace the whole system.

ive had a few plumbers around to take a look, and they've all given me different options.

some only work in copper. Others only work in plastic. Some want a 'traditional' system with multiple zones. Others recommend a single zone with wireless values on each rad to create digital zones (Honeywell system). All seem to recommend a pressurised cylinder system.

The house has 4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, each with showers so they say too big for a combi.

i was wondering what is the latest thinking on central heating systems. What would you recommend? Can you help me understand the various options better? Many thanks.

Zoning will depend on size of House, what you have is no good for a combi boiler, so depending on other factors Un-Vented cylinder & new condensing boiler is the way to go, but this will depend on what your incoming water main can provide, More than likely the water main will need up-grading, Without lots of other information it is difficult to give you the advise that you need.

Agree with the post above. The only certainty is that with 3 bathrooms, a combi is not going to be suitable.

If incoming mains pressure and flow rate are up to it, an unvented cylinder will give the best hot water delivery. Zoning in the traditional way is the best option in my opinion but may require quite a few floorboards to be lifted to modify the pipework. The disruption will be greater. The Honeywell system is very clever but relies on radio frequency wireless communication, and is prone to comms failure. Each radiator valve requires batteries, and they need changing regularly! Factor in the hassle and cost.

I cannot abide plastic and will avoid it as much as possible. Copper pipework is more durable, less prone to being chewed by rodents, and the fittings don't just blow off. I've been to several houses that have been flooded due to push fit fittings just popping off.

Hope that helps a bit.

System boiler with one weather compensated zone run in MLCP for me.

Hello. thanks for the reply. Had to go away for a few days, but back now and can provide more details.

Here's some plans and room sizes:

House Plumbing ground floor.001.jpg
House Plumbing first floor.001.jpg

I'm doing a bit of DIY so some ceilings are down making easy access to floor space. I would like to put the boiler and cylinder into the new garage. That is built to house standards ie cavity wall, mega-insulated ceiling. The gas meter is currently under the stairs, and I was oping to leave it there and put a new gas pipe in from there across the lounge ceiling into the garage.

Water pipe is now straight into the new garage to feed the boiler first via a 32mm pipe. Mains Pressure is good.

I was thinking of plastic for ease of installation - Speedfit stuff.

Who is doing the Gas Pipe work ?
Where is flue from boiler going to exit garage ?

Last edited:
Hello. I've not yet got a gas guy lined up, but I will. I need all the correct certificTes, and want it all done correctly anyway. I am looking for more understanding here so I can have a sensible conversTion with the plumbers when they come.

The flue for the boiler could go straight up. The garage is single storey with a roof on top. Or it could be routed to the back horizontally under the roofline? I guess it depends on the boiler and flue placement rules. Should be straight forward I hope.

Am also looking for recommendations as to which make of boiler. Every plumber so far has said they only deal with ***, where *** is always different!

Last edited:
Boiler choice is at the end of the day down to you ! as you say every one has a favourite brand, to be honest they are all about the same, each brand has its own little faults, some have bad experiences with back up, others get no problems, 1 to 10 year warranty's on offer, you could buy a bottom end brand boiler and have no problems with it, on the other hand you could fit the most expensive brand and get nothing but hassle, You pay your money and take a chance.

Agree with the post above. The only certainty is that with 3 bathrooms, a combi is not going to be suitable.

If incoming mains pressure and flow rate are up to it, an unvented cylinder will give the best hot water delivery. Zoning in the traditional way is the best option in my opinion but may require quite a few floorboards to be lifted to modify the pipework. The disruption will be greater. The Honeywell system is very clever but relies on radio frequency wireless communication, and is prone to comms failure. Each radiator valve requires batteries, and they need changing regularly! Factor in the hassle and cost.

I cannot abide plastic and will avoid it as much as possible. Copper pipework is more durable, less prone to being chewed by rodents, and the fittings don't just blow off. I've been to several houses that have been flooded due to push fit fittings just popping off.

Hope that helps a bit.

Agree with most of the above which is good sound advice, although with regard to plastic, I've never had any chewed by vermin although I've heard of it but on that point I've seen electrical wires chewed and it don't stop electricians using it. I've never had plastic just popping off, only when it's not been installed correctly. Only criteria for plastic that it is never installed on show and for any exposed pipe work, I would use copper.

thanks for the advice. I've now got a plumber lined up, and system has been designed and is soon to go in.

thanks for the advice. I've now got a plumber lined up, and system has been designed and is soon to go in.

what have you and he/she gone for ?

Vaillant 938 with vertical flue, speedfit pipework, 8 flat panel rads with 5 vertical rads. + water softener plus magnaclean.

sounds ok :) if you can keep us updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New central heating. What to get? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock