Search the forum,

Discuss nasty trick ... nearly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
somebody a while ago asked me to price a boiler swap, too buzy at the time so I had to say no thanks.
I bumped in to her today and asked how she had got on.
She told me one of the guys she phoned (I know of him) one of his lads / lad answered the phone and started to take down her details and said, we will do it on the side for you, but don't ring this number back and he gave her another number, obviously his.
In other words the little g*t was trying to hijack his bosses job, what ultimately pays him a wage . der !!!!
yet another one of the reasons I work by myself.
Can you trust your lads ????

Some you can some you can't. I used to pass all the stuff on to my boss mainly because I didn't want to work weekends or I would pass it on to a mate if I didn't like the company I worked for.

If the contact is via the firm i contract for then i tell them to go through him although it will be me doing the work, but if its straight to me then its all mine........its a respect thing with me.

Thats a bit sh!tty that is, some bosses will pass work to there employers as hommers if theyre too busy and other employers stipulate no hommer policy, but what this guy is doing is totaly wrong and isnt legally qualified to work with gas outside of his employers jurisdiction ,

Lol, i am tempted to tell the gaffa if i bump into him. The good thing here, is the lady who told me this smelt a rat and walked away.
she rang 5 engineers of the rated people. com 'type' site and only one turned up and gave her a price . !!!!!!!
I am going round in the morning, and I will be there.

thats horrible, with my boss he passes the smaller jobs to me and i pass the bigger jobs to him but. Shouldn't bite the hand that feeds you.

You should tell his boss, no one needs someone like that working for them. I had a subby pass his number on to a couple of my customers whilst he was doing jobs for me. Just so happens I know one of them very well and she told me about it.

A couple of years ago when I was an employee was working on a new build on a Saturday this guy comes in and asks me to come and look at a job told him that I finish at 3 oclock and will pop round then.I go round at 3 oclock what he wants is new incoming mains bathroom and kitchen quite a bit of work I tell him that I will see boss on Monday and let him know he asks if I would do it as a homer my reply to that was because you approached me at work(because the van was outside signwritten) then I would have to go through boss but had he approached me any other way ie in a pub then I would be more than happy to do as a homer as said don't bite the hand that feeds..brum

We had 2 Subbies doing all of our services for a year or two. They were supposed to put our boiler stickers on and our details in benchmark. They were on our number. For some reason I went to a few. All their details . Their stickers and the custard asked if I was going to fix the leak on the shower door as they said the would sort it when they returned. Transpires they fitted bathroom on our time too.

Van trackers and spot checks now!

I don't understand the mentality of the people that try and steal customers etc. I have worked for a few different companies, big and small. I have never once tried to steal a customer out of respect for my employer. I think it just shows a real lack of morals in these people if you cant trust them whilst paying them a wage. Now I work for myself you see this side of people though, its like you need to watch them 100% of the time or they try and take the ****. Subbys who arrive late and leave early. If you aren't around will take long breaks, be constantly outside the job on the phone or having a *** etc.

It all depends on how good the company you work for is. If the company docks pay and is generally unreasonable it's fair game. loyalty is a two way street.

We had 2 Subbies doing all of our services for a year or two. They were supposed to put our boiler stickers on and our details in benchmark. They were on our number. For some reason I went to a few. All their details . Their stickers and the custard asked if I was going to fix the leak on the shower door as they said the would sort it when they returned. Transpires they fitted bathroom on our time too.

Van trackers and spot checks now!

do your boys suffer from acne erm..brum

to be honest it depends on the guvenors last firm i worked for did everything they could to cut your wages so id have no qualms about nicking work of them others ive worked for i wouldnt dream of it

As an employer, I would also be concerned about the employee using my materials on jobs for themselves.

Employers are not as dumb as some employees think.
Most of us have been there and do sometimes have a 'gut feeling' when things aren't right.

That's when we do little things that can cause employees to have situations that change without their knowing.

Things like removing a rubber seal of a flickmixer tap.
I've got a few- some other time

As an employer, I would also be concerned about the employee using my materials on jobs for themselves.

Employers are not as dumb as some employees think.
Most of us have been there and do sometimes have a 'gut feeling' when things aren't right.

That's when we do little things that can cause employees to have situations that change without their knowing.

Things like removing a rubber seal of a flickmixer tap.
I've got a few- some other time

A few years ago a lad who I worked with got the boot from the company after a load of bits went missing the last was a 24v dewalt sds drill. He went to another company after and we heard about 8 months later that he got the sack. They were happy with him until they noticed that for a new water main consisting of 6mtrs 15mm he had booked out 60mtrs! When they asked why and to return the rest as they didn't want that much left on the van he said he couldn't, they then checked what he had been booking out and he had been at it from day 1 and not subtle about it as he never got less than 30mtrs! Turned out he was a heroin addict although you would never notice we all just thought he was a lazy git.

Have seen a boiler installed by BG with the installers mobile number on it..

Lol, i am tempted to tell the gaffa if i bump into him. The good thing here, is the lady who told me this smelt a rat and walked away.
she rang 5 engineers of the rated people. com 'type' site and only one turned up and gave her a price . !!!!!!!
I am going round in the morning, and I will be there.

Moral of the story is.... dont turn work down!! this woman was happy to wait but you rejected it before even quoting!!

Jase , I have to turn work down mate, or I am going to be 6 foot under very soon

Saying no is a skill all to itself. Only so many hours in the day and some you want to spend away from work. If people cant wait then tough poop. Turned away 2 jobs this week, too busy and wouldnt wait. Wont be losing any sleep over them.

Just say NO :)

Saying no is a skill all to itself. Only so many hours in the day and some you want to spend away from work. If people cant wait then tough poop. Turned away 2 jobs this week, too busy and wouldnt wait. Wont be losing any sleep over them.

Just say NO :)

but you still went around and did the quote!! If I found out somebody was waiting for months and I had a chance to quote, I would be gutted that I turned it down without quoting, If I quote and they cant wait then that's fine!! wont loose any sleep over that!!!

I aint gonna waste my time doing an estimate for work I wont be doing. Which is why when I answer the phone I ask how soon. Then its yes I will price or no as I have no availability.

All depends on the source of the phone call. A recommendation will more than likely wait versus a cold call from advertising.

Still busy times and prices on the up :)

I aint gonna waste my time doing an estimate for work I wont be doing. Which is why when I answer the phone I ask how soon. Then its yes I will price or no as I have no availability.

All depends on the source of the phone call. A recommendation will more than likely wait versus a cold call from advertising.

Still busy times and prices on the up :)

Bit of a case of do as I say and not as I do!!
saturday afternoon I get a call and chances are that it wont even get answered on the expectation it is an emergency call and I just cant be bothered!!
But I hate the thought of turning work down because that little job can turn into a big job!!
And that big job could be when I am quiet and could really do with the work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to nasty trick ... nearly in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock