Search the forum,

Discuss My difficult situation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

turbo13

Hi, I'm in my 4th year of my apprenticeship and I'm looking for advice on the following.

I'll try not to over-complicate things but basically I started on a full time course because I couldn't find a job straight away but after applying for god knows how many jobs I finally got a job but it wasn't domestic. It was industrial working on schools, colleges, Hospitals etc. It came with its pros and cons but I soon found out it came with a massive con, My company sub-contracts ALL its gas work out. Now I'm coming to the end of my apprenticeship and I have no gas work for my evidence and with my lack of experience working on boilers etc i'm sure to fail my end exam.
My question is, what should I do? Should I look for a new, domestic based job for a company that are gas safe registered? The Money is quite good here and there are options to progress and become a foreman or project manager which is cool but if they got rid of me before I got that opportunity I would be stuck between a rock and a hard place, with the unlikeliness of landing a new job without being gas safe registered and my lack of domestic experience. It would also be unlikely to get another job working on the industrial side considering companies mainly hire pipe fitters and not plumbers.

Try talking to your manager, maybe they'll let you tag along when the company they contract out to do the gas work ?

You won't even get to sit your exam without a gas portfolio, TBH at the end of your third year you should be put forward for the gas course if you are going to get a portfolio, then you do the theory training in college, so in not sure why you are in a position to maybe fail an exam you shouldn't be sitting

Lots of plumbers work on industrial/commercial sites, not just pipe fitters

Try talking to your manager, maybe they'll let you tag along when the company they contract out to do the gas work ?

I imagine that won't be very straight forward because of insurance as well as other things. And there is a good chance that the sub-contracted gas company might bot want me considering my company would likely charge them for my services.

As for sitting my end exam. My college are basically hoping I found a way around it, I have told my assessor about my situation but his response is very lax. I don't know what they are going to do but I have told them about it so it is not really in my hands anymore.

which qualification are you signed uo to?

Domestic NVQ level 3, I think it is the C&Q 6129? I'm uncertain about that though. I have my level 2.

In reply to gassed up, I am yes. Don't get me wrong I have done plumbing on site also, 1 of the pro's of my job is that for example I can install up to 12 basins in a day if I'm working in a toilet block something which you can't do domestically

Lots of plumbers work on industrial/commercial sites, not just pipe fitters

I'd say 90-95% of the people I have met worked with are Pipe fitters, not plumbers. In fact the only plumbers I have met have come from agency. I'm not saying it is impossible but I think there are considerably more pipe fitters than plumbers on site

You should be able to get work signed off or experience with anyone. If your company can't help, try working a few Saturdays with a domestic fitter. You really don't need that much evidence.

Have you spoken to your boss about this ? What have they said about it cus I'm sure they would want you to pass?? Have they not tried to help you out??

Of course it's in your hands!

How so? The college sign students up for the final exam, I've told them of my situation but from the lack of care from my assessor and college tutors I think they are going to try and sign me up anyway. even though when the time comes I won't be able to sit it

I can guarantee you 100% you cannot sit the exam without a portfolio, so if the college are going to by pass this then they are wrong, what can happen when a student has been signed up and then loses their job through redundancy or their company loses the gas contract, the college can suspend the exam until the apprentice gets another gas contract to keep building the portfolio

You should be able to get work signed off or experience with anyone. If your company can't help, try working a few Saturdays with a domestic fitter. You really don't need that much evidence.

Really? would this be legal? considering the fact that i am under contract with another company. Also if i worked for a domestic fitter on saturdays he would have to sign my portfolio confirming he is gas safe registered and that he has overseen me carrying out the work, would that be allowed if I'm not under contract with him.

In a way it is still in your own hands, get off your bum and get out there and get some practical gas experience, if you have asked 50 people and they all say no ask another 50, or give up its your choice

In a way it is still in your own hands, get off your bum and get out there and get some practical gas experience, if you have asked 50 people and they all say no ask another 50, or give up its your choice

Mate I am by no means lazy and I would do this if I thought this was an option but like I said in my above post is it legal to do gas work for a company you are not contracted with? I would of thought not

Really? would this be legal? considering the fact that i am under contract with another company. Also if i worked for a domestic fitter on saturdays he would have to sign my portfolio confirming he is gas safe registered and that he has overseen me carrying out the work, would that be allowed if I'm not under contract with him.

Can't say for definite but iv worked with guys who were subbie apprentices who has their portfolios signed off. They certainly didn't have contracts. The only person who may care is the training centre... But I doubt it.

Iv bin in the same boat mate , I'm not gas but bin getting gas men to let me work with them on my days off to get exp for my ccn1, you don't have to have a contract with some1 to get exp mate or for your portf

Yes of course it is. If you work for someone in your own time, as long as you're not stealing your company's customers, or working for a direct competitor, you're fine. Especially as, to get portfolio experience you'll most likely have to work for free, so you can demonstrate that you're doing it purely to gain knowledge and not for financial gain. You don't have to be employed by a GSR to gain experience with him/her.

Start gaining experience through any means possible, if it gets you the qualification IMO I would not give a hoot about a contract.

It might be that you never need it as you can progress with the company you're with but it is a back up you must have.

Ok, thanks for everyone who replied. Judging from the posts my best option is to do some voluntary work with a gas fitter on saturdays or on my days off or something, just out of interest how long would it take? if I booked a week off and worked with a gas fitter for a week would I be able to get my evidence or the majority of it or would i need more time than that.

Its ment to be 70 hours but your colloge can reduce this if they feel you have done the right sort of work and exp mate

I would get the experience and qualification and then carry on with whoever is showing you the ropes for as long as you can, its one big learning session and a week or two is not even touching the sides.

learn as much from them as you can for as long as you can, it will benefit you in the future.

Ok thanks a lot guys. I agree that 1 week would not give me the confidence to do gas work despite the fact it would be enough to get me my evidence. But like you said I may never need it if I stay on with this company, which ideally I would like to. If I manage to get on good terms with a gas fitter I would definitely do as much volunteer work as I could even after I get my NVQ and become gas safe registered.

Where about are you? Someone on the forum might be able to help you, you never know.

I live in Blackburn but would be willing to travel to other nearby towns or cities if necessary

Assuming your young like me ;) , have facebook, put a status up asking if anyones family members are gas safe and want free help.

seems to be poor on your college end, my college activly got students placements to get their onsites done. Im sure kirkgas does the same too.

not to mention expanding on what kirk said, your four years in, you've left it abit late at this point to do something about it!

Last edited:
Assuming your young like me ;) , have facebook, put a status up asking if anyones family members are gas safe and want free help.

seems to be poor on your college end, my college activly got students placements to get their onsites done. Im sure kirkgas does the same too.

not to mention expanding on what kirk said, your four years in, you've left it abit late at this point to do something about it!

Our apprentices get well looked after, if they work with a gas company they are sorted, but if any work for plumbing only firms we get them placement with one of the firms who does gas, as long as their employer is happy to release them to another firm ( most do as they see it as a benefit to the apprentice, even if they don't do gas themselves)

Haha, would you believe I don't have facebook. I did have for a while but got fed up about reading what people had for their lunch or what they did in the gym today.

Someone on this thread said I need a minimum of 70 hours so if that is true then I have got a year to find just under two weeks volunteer work, I'd say that is more than enough time. If I get desperate I will just pay someone to take me with them for two weeks.

Its 70 days sorry:( that's if you r a catergory 2 student which you r mate otherwise its 140 days for catergory 3

Its 70 days sorry:( that's if you r a catergory 2 student which you r mate otherwise its 140 days for catergory 3

hmm, well that drastically changes everything. I don't think my company would let me have 70 days off lol. I guess all I can do is offer my services for volunteer work as much as possible since it can't harm the cause and also speak with my assessor and try and get him to take what i'm saying seriously and see if they can sort something out. Just out of interest if I don't get my gas by the time my apprenticeship is up will the highest qualification I come away with be my NVQ level 2 that I obtained after my 2nd year?

Like I said befor the colloge can give you some lee way and that includes the off site trianing I think aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to My difficult situation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock