Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Moving the gas meter advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents

I have a prewar 1st floor flat where all the utilities are coming up through one corner of the kitchen and as a consequence all the meters are bundled there and it's bit of a mess as well as taking up valuable cupboard space. I'm having the electrics renewed which end up being below the work surface but the gas meter is in a very inconvenient place. It's suspended at around eye level from the iron feed pipe so the surrounding cabinet takes up most of the corner space which I'd like to eventually remove or at least considerably reduce.

I think I understand from reading a few threads that the distance the meter is moved will dictate who I get in to do the job ie a suitably qualified plumber or transco but I'm not sure where I can move the meter to, I mean can the meter be situated a few metres away from the stopcock or can or should the stopcock be moved too? Appreciate the advice.

its not your property to move around, need to get supplier or Nat grid in and pay an exorbitant fee for the privilege

They may not just move it. They may say it's a new service required depending in what material the service is. The less uncontrolled gas in your property the better.

Don't listen to Jefaz. He only works for transporter. Knows nothing! Just move meter with a few flexible tap connectors. Use the tap connectors downstream of regulator then pressure be ok at outlet!

Don't listen to Jefaz. He only works for transporter. Knows nothing! Just move meter with a few flexible tap connectors. Use the tap connectors downstream of regulator then pressure be ok at outlet!
Hahahah yea or you do this!! :)
But never take out a service contract with SSE!! Their engineers are terrible by all accounts.

Last edited:

Hahahah yea or you do this!! :)
But never take out a service contract with SSE!! Their engineers are terrible by all accounts.

I'm gonna slap one or both of you nuggets!

its not your property to move around, need to get supplier or Nat grid in and pay an exorbitant fee for the privilege

You don't need to get the supplier to do it if the main valve stays where it is, it's possible to use a qualified contractor as long as they get written permission they are allowed to do it, a survey would be required to see what can be done, generally the main valve stays where it is and the meter gets relocated, as long as there's easy access to the valve it's fine, a qualified contractor will know what needs to be done to comply, we won't discuss what is actually required to discourage DIY gas work, get a local gas contractor in and discuss the options

thought it was the scottish that were mean lol
That is a slander put about by the English.
Come up to Scotland Steve and i'll give you 50 quid if you find a tight fisted Scotsman.
John can probably back this up since he was "abroad" last week in the land of the Jocks :wink:

That is a slander put about by the English.
Come up to Scotland Steve and i'll give you 50 quid if you find a tight fisted Scotsman.
John can probably back this up since he was "abroad" last week in the land of the Jocks :wink:

Your absence was noted.......

zydygyve.jpg
3u5y7uma.jpg

Apparently these are current issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Moving the gas meter advice. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock